Thursday, August 03, 2006

Bullpups and construction, Big Bronx and traffic jams, Legion of Doom and communication, the truth about PosterBoy

I’m closing down Yale signup shortly. I think we’ve got everyone organized; next step is a rooming list to the hotel, then actual registration. Then I’ve got to set up some chez meetings to discuss the topic, provided there’s a chez to meet in. The stoners are working their way around the building, and there’s new windows (about half of the ones in Chez HQ but they aren’t nailed down yet). The leaders of our two work crews are the poetic pair Kwan and Juan. If I run into either of them I nod and quickly scurry off, leaving them to go about their business without asking me what they should do next. As if I know. Anyhow, we’ll chez it up in the sun room, although it’ll be at night, which makes it the moon room. Maybe we can toast marshmallows and fireflies.

I’ve also just put in a registration for Big Bronx. Since OC has me working in the tab room, I might as well bring a team along. It’s going to be Grand Central in there, by the way, with the usual suspects in LD, the Rev in Pffft, Sabrina and Stefan in Policy with Dr. Glass as some sort of eminence grise, plus special guests stars TBD, plus the famous Foods of the World Unite cuisine team, plus the usual collection of 328 Bronx novices wondering what to do next. Thank God we’re passing on the Beginner’s MHL this year, otherwise the chance of getting any sleep would be nil. Although I do understand that OC has already begun writing his awards speech. Talk about Fidel Castro and standing in the sun for three hours!

The thought of a new season just rings my bell…

I’ve picked up the Legion of Doom business again. I had set aside the PosterBoyism for a couple of reasons, like being busy for one, but also feeling that it was just a little too quiet on that front, given that they had allegedly met in June. What happened, wondered I. Well, notes finally arrived, and mostly what happened is that I was supposed to be farming for tournament director commitments and they were going to figure some way to communicate among themselves. Maybe it’s just me, but the amount of listserve communication that ensued over the communication issue was sort of fun, indicative shall we say of the need to do the deed. Personally I don’t care all that much what they decide to do, but I hope they do it before the Rapture. I prefer the fleetfootedness of our friends at WTF. You don’t see them dickering over what to do. They just give OC $5000 and something gets done. That’s the way it should be for everyone. I did refer the Legion to this blog for the purpose of citing an example of the genre, but I haven’t read any responses after that. They were no doubt so appalled that the ones who haven’t pulled up stakes are simply too numb to do anything but wonder, Wait a second. Legion of Doom? But…that’s…US!!!

Yeah, well. They don’t know me all that well, most of them. I mean, I think I was just thought of as some random eminence grise (your term for the day, I guess) of the conservative stripe who at the very least was capable of writing an email, which is why I was tapped for PosterBoy. They were right, but if they ventured further they would have uncovered the bile, the monomaniac fascination with (and confusion about) architecture, the Herman Melville correspondence, the logorrhea, the lurking postmodernism, the pointless podcasts (speaking of which, I put up a new Nostrum last night, the heat notwithstanding), the male GRL thing, the lack of understanding of about half of what comprises LD these days, the disdain for the national $ircuit… Most likely I won’t have added too many of them to the Vast Coachean Army when all of this is said and done.

No comments: