Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Transitioning to PF

For rather elusive reasons, a sophomore and a junior have been in and out of the newbie sailor group, but I gather that henceforth they are in. Including them, we’re planning a fairly preemptive move to PF by December, except for a couple of boneheads who didn’t show up last night. Whatever.

(I can call them that because the likelihood of them ever reading this is somewhere between nil and zero. About the same as getting them to look at the team calendar.)

My whole process has been thrown into disarray, simply because we haven’t had any numbers since back when I committed to PF. When it was only one team, I didn’t have to give it much thought, but now I have to think things out. My original premise was to start them in LD, and I’m still sort of thinking that’s the way to go, because it allows me to work with them on introductory philosophy/ethics, which would otherwise go by the board in favor of whatever topic is at hand. Another reason I like starting with LD is that there’s no partner issues, so you can learn how to build arguments and get your feet wet all on your own. This whole thing will keep evolving. It’s not as if I don’t have the materials to work with them on, simply that I keep juggling them.

The alternative, starting with the topic at hand and working top-down, so to speak, rather than bottom up, is certainly possible. It’s just that I haven’t chosen to do it. What I really want to do is try both ways simultaneously in the lab and see which works better. Unfortunately we don’t have that luxury.

On another note entirely, I’m pretty sure I’m going to try tabroom for tabbing part of Vassar next weekend. It’s hard to see a reason why not. I won’t get my feet wet by standing on the boardwalk.

And wait a minute. Bump is two weeks from this coming Friday? Really? I so don’t feel anywhere near ready for it.

No comments: