Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Debate: Ten to one my weekend was more event-filled than yours

Very unusual weekend:
  • Tabbed Monticello? Check.
  • Mistakenly upgraded iPhone to IOS 6? Check.
  • Daughter married? Check.
  • Website for NYSDCA? Check.
  • Academy Debate defined? Check.
Where to begin. Let me take the one that sort of sticks out the most. She met him on her librarian bike trip to the Baltic. He’s a Brit, and a fine fellow, and he’s back to the UK today, wrapping up things over there before moving here permanently. If you’re interested in further details, you can deal with her directly. (Because of the obvious complications of geography and the like, as she said, the Disney Princess wedding wasn’t possible, so I’ll have to wait until O’C gets hitched for that.)

And you thought I didn’t have a private life. Pshaw! I have to admit, though, that the speed of this rather took me aback, which is probably why, when I plugged in my iPhone Saturday night to grab a couple of new books from Audible (I prefer using iTunes to the Audible app), when I was asked if I wanted to upgrade, I said yes. I forgot completely that I wanted to wait for IOS 6 until a couple of advancements on the following decimal, but what are you going to do? I had already gotten MapQuest to solve the major problem of turning left in Albuquerque to get to the Hindu Kush. As for the rest, we’ll see.

As for Monticello, well, it was small, which meant a lot of hand-pairing, since TRPC refused to have anything to do with it. But by the same token, I had plenty of time on my hands to, first of all, advance the idea of what I’m calling Academy Debate, which in some ways is a revitalization of JV, but a lot more, as it calls on the resources of the NYSDCA to work with tournaments to insure their continued prosperity. I’ll talk about that more tomorrow.

And I also went to SquareSpace and threw together a new NYSDCA website, which went live today. And also there’s a @nysdca Twitter account and a gmail account. And O'C has pointed me to our Facebook account. We’re cooking with the proverbial gas, in other words. Again, more on these things shortly. The most important is Academy Debate, which, as I say, we’ll go into tomorrow.





1 comment:

K Menick said...

Ah, so that's how you ended up with iOS6. I feel a bit guilty now.