Thursday, October 25, 2012

Debate: Miscellania (which sounds like the name of Donald Trump's latest girlfriend)

Last year the Regis Halloween debate was the day of the killer snowstorm that knocked out the entire east coast. It took me about three hours to drive home through an obstacle course of downed trees and low hanging wires and wrecked vehicles. This year, we have a hurricane coming in. You’ve got to ask yourself, what is Regis doing wrong? Or maybe it’s just the NYCFL. You would think, with God on our side, this wouldn’t happen. Does the New York Scientology Forensic League have this problem? With L. Ron on their side?

Jeesh.

I don’t think I mentioned that my debaters made a team Facebook page so that they would have something electronic that they actually looked at. Very proactive on their part, and Meh gave me admin access, and all of a sudden, if I want to post something, they see it within seconds. Emails? Not so soon. And you thought Facebook was just a lot of silly nonsense. Well, obviously, there’s a soupcon of unsilly nonsense as well. Seriously, it fits in nicely with the other communications venues. If that’s where people are, so be it. I don’t pay much attention to Fb as a general rule, but for this, I’ll make an exception. And if someone mentions my name, I get a message through email. Of course, I have to admit, it makes me feel older than usual to realize that not only am I nostalgic about snail mail, but now I’m nostalgic about email. (If I could only get all those damned kids off my lawn!)

I also don’t remember mentioning nysdca.org here, but then again, maybe I did and I just forget it in all the craziness with yelling at all those kids on my lawn. Check it out. It was fairly easy to throw together, and it looks good on PCs, mobiles and tablets. Now if I can just get people to use it. There’s also @nysdca, if you’re interested in keeping up with NY debate news.

Armageddon notwithstanding, Regis closes tonight, and then I’ll go through the rigamarole of changing the date so that people can make their changes online. As a dry run for online registration this season, the First-Timers was pretty good, and only one of the culprits there will be at Regis, but there’s always new culprits waiting in the wings. I want to run a hundred percent culprit-free. It could happen. Of course, for all that, at the FTers’ everything else went wrong, and it didn’t matter.

We try. Lord knows we try.

No comments: