Wednesday, May 09, 2012

The crappy prizes will flow like water

I’m thinking that, maybe, I might start blogging for the DJ again. I’ll at least be doing book reviews (there’s a no-brainer for you); more than that, it’s hard to say. Having sort of invented the category for them, then gotten bumped without notice, then gotten thrown into a random group of other editors, I’m not terribly hopeful, but at the same time, I strongly believe that our brand can do some serious good stuff on the interwebs that we’re just not doing.

I just wasn’t made for these times. It may require reworking of the new sister site. We’ll see.

Speaking of which, I was really taken by that clip of the Beach Boys on Grinwout’s. Previously I was thinking that at best we were talking just another oldies act, but that new song is really good. Can they pull off a whole album like that? We’ll know next month. I’ve been following Brian’s solo career, which has been, in a word, mixed. Sometimes aggressively overproduced misses, sometimes one of my favorite albums ever (“Orange Crate Art”): you never knew what to expect. The jury is still out on the Gershwin album and the Disney album. Interesting choices, though. Anyhow, as a group, the band looks awfully well fed (those royalties must be still coming in), and somebody needs to tell Mike Love that we know he’s lost a hair or two and it’s okay and we’ve known it since 1971, but they sounded incredible. Then again, does anyone look unhappier on stage than Brian Wilson? I’ve seen proctology patients with bigger smiles. (I hope that last sentence doesn’t come across the wrong way.)

Finally, tonight, the Bean Trivialists will get their due. The daughter and O’C are poised to provide their lifelines (I can’t imagine that they’d miss any of these). There’s also a new lifeline, the Spons Google Catastrophe. Can our speech coach Google the answer on the top page of the iPhone? Her computer skills are, uh, well, I’ve seen proctology patients with bigger smiles, so this should be interesting. She’ll be doing it on my iPhone. Of course, she doesn’t know this yet…




No comments: