Monday, May 14, 2012

Glenn Frey goes all cabaret on us

Let's take a look:



Can I have the next dance?

All right, I admit it. I expected little, and was pleasantly surprised. The Eagles were never on my must-listen list; I didn't dislike them, but they didn't move the needle for me (although I have a real fondness for "Smuggler's Blues"). Not that I'd call this a needle-mover, but it's awfully good. A lot of rockers (does the name Rod Stewart ring a bell?) go into the classic American songbook and just sort of plop down and go nowhere with it. It's almost as if they've run out of their own music, and in order to keep the electricity bill paid back in the homestead, they decided they'll bring this gold down to from the hills to the rubes who've never heard it before. I pity the rubes. Some folks, though, approach it with an innate understanding, and do a fine job with it. Frey is doing that kind of fine job.

Frey talks about his music and the new album on Speakeasy, Glenn Frey Loves Classic Pop, Hates Frank Ocean’s ‘American Wedding’. There's also a clip of "Route 66" to listen to.

I'm definitely acquiring this album.
.

No comments: