Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer fever

I’m curious about the new Digg, which I heard Kevin Rose talk about this weekend on TWIT. This may be useful for debate stuff, or, maybe not. A new adjunct to the Coachean Feed, if not a replacement? It’s going live in a month or so. Anyhow, I registered with Digg today. We’ll see how that goes.

Roughly one month later, I still love my iPad, if you’re wondering. Notes: get the biggest one you can; I’ve already filled up the first 16 gigs. The Apple case is better than any other I’ve seen (a lot better in some cases). I don’t miss 3G because I have wireless both at home and at work; on school buses, I’ll watch Star Trek episodes. In the tab room, I’ll play Civ. End of connectivity story. Have figured out how to make FeeddlerRSS work really well (it connects to Google Reader: to enjoy the articles, don’t just use it as a list; go into the articles and then go from one to the other, which is how you’ll get the audio/video stuff). I’ve read one full book (Roughing It), and realized that this is the easiest way in the universe to catch up with your classics, given that they’re all free.

On the entertainment front, we saw Alan Cumming last week at Feinsteins. He was predictably entertaining and uncensored. Best line of the night was from an audience member after the show, a very old lady complaining to her companion, “Well, I didn’t think he was funny.”

I miss TVFT. For some people, summer in debate is just like winter only warmer. For the rest of us, it’s total cold turkey. Even Jules and the Mite are talking about hiatus. Jeesh. People were made of sterner stuff back in my day!

And I think I’ve grown tired of movies. That is, I’ve seen so many mediocre movies that I just don’t want to see any more of them, or even put myself in a position to possibly see any more of them. I did enjoy TS3, though, which is the only thing to get me out of the house in months, but even at home, I’m only watching old TV shows via my Netflix account. I guess I could watch artsy Afghan films or something, but a little of that goes a long way. Is it too much to expect intelligent popular entertainment? Maybe.

God, my life is tough!

No comments: