Monday, June 21, 2010

A sad state of affairs

Frankly, I found this news to be rather dismaying.

As you know, O’C is in love with awards and awards ceremonies. In fact, when I created a March-Madness type bracket for him, I set it up so that those two would face off in the final round. But I thought that his love of trophies only extended as far as debate, honoring forensics achievement both past and present. How little I knew, that his love of trophies was ecumenical in scope, going far beyond the local, parochial world of high school debate. But if you ask me, this time he’s gone too far. I mean, it is one thing to provide trophies to the Metro-Hudson League or to his own Big Jake Invitational, but his expansion into second marriages just doesn’t seem kosher. The idea that he is now supplying trophy wives to rich, middle-aged male debate coaches (and, when required, trophy husbands to rich, middle-aged female debate coaches) seems to take the concept beyond where it ought to be. Sure, there’s plenty of debate coaches out there who have accrued megabucks over the years (just imagine how much Harvard Bietz got paid, for instance, for coaching a NatNats champ), but they’ve only been able to feed their gargantuan bank accounts because of the early help from their first mates, who were with them when they started out, training novices not to pick their noses during cross-ex and the like. Who is out there seeing to the deposed initial mates now? Not O’C, obviously. It’s all about the trophies, as far as he’s concerned. If you want to know more, you can check it out at CruzsHideaway_HumanTrophiesRUs.com.

If you ask me, this is just wrong.

2 comments:

Palmer said...

I really wish I had any idea what you are talking about. Sounds salacious.

Blackjack Books said...

Perhaps, I shall agree with your phrase