Thursday, June 17, 2010

Gypsies

No, not the ones who throw babies at you and steal your wallet while you're distractedly making the catch...

Curiously enough, when I went to create a Sanseverino channel on Pandora, it started out with a Duke Ellington tune called “Accordion Joe.” I guess Pandora thinks that all Frenchmen play the concertina on the Metro or something, so one squeezebox is as good as the next. Not so, especially since Sansverino is a guitarist. Jeesh. As Pandora kept trying, I skipped a bunch of tunes, all of them swing, until I finally deleted the station. I love Pandora, but it isn’t perfect.

Why Sanseverino? Check out “Mal o Mains.” This will lead you, through this, perhaps with another stop along the way at Stephane Grappelli, to, eventually, Django Reinhardt. What a lovely trip…

On the other hand, please note that I am not mentioning the death metal version of “What a Wonderful World,” so you can thank me for that. (All right, I did mention it, but only to disparage it.) (But I definitely didn't mention the new first-person shooter app on the Touch where the victims are ersatz Muppets.) (And if this keeps up, it’s going to be a long, cold summer for debate fans here at good old CL.)

No comments: