Friday, June 18, 2010

LD Festivus

Ah, yes: The airing of the resolution grievances. Let’s take a look.

Resolved: When forced to choose, a just government ought to prioritize universal human rights over its national interest.

This strikes me as either very good, or, possibly, entirely clash-free. In any case, I like it until proven otherwise because it forces an analysis of what, exactly, government is all about, and what UHR is all about. Worthy.

Resolved: The abuse of illegal drugs ought to be treated as a matter of public health, not of criminal justice.


Of course. I mean, I guess I can see this as being debatable, but not particularly commanding. One can analyze all those people in prison and make related CRT arguments and whatnot, but the real issue isn’t drugs, it’s poverty, and the causes thereof do not include drugs, which are merely a symptom. So, I'm on the fence with this one.

Resolved: In political campaigns within the United States, corporations ought to be afforded the same First Amendment free speech protections as individuals.

Somehow I see people jumping on this one heavily, so I’d be surprised if it wasn’t picked for one of the slots. Personally, I’m already sort of tired of it, having studied it a lot and heard everyone ad nauseum since Citizens United. The thing is, I don’t think there’s a lot of breadth to what one can argue. Not terrible, by any means, but not terribly promising for a long stretch.

Resolved: The United States is justified in using private military firms abroad to pursue its military objectives.


Cool. I can’t remember looking at the role of the military in any way at all. I don’t know how this comes out in rounds, but I like the subject a lot.

Resolved: On balance, internet neutrality is desirable.


Surprisingly, there is a reasonable argument on both sides, even in the techie sphere. However, like corporate free speech, I wonder how much can actually be said.

Resolved: Progressive income taxes are just.

Core. Hell, any taxes are just would be an interesting topic in our present environment of idiocy on this particular subject.

Resolved: Justice requires the recognition of animal rights.

I don’t like the wording, although I like an animal rights topic. Justice isn’t what animal rights is all about, I don’t think. Morality, yes. I’ll pass.

Resolved: In the United States, juveniles charged with violent felonies ought to be treated as adults in the criminal justice system.

A classic.

Resolved: The constitutions of democratic governments ought to include procedures for secession.


Well, first of all, you need a federal system of some sort, and second of all, you need to create a nation where you don’t care if your constituents drop out capriciously… Are we saying that Liverpool ought to be able to leave England, or Brooklyn ought to be able to leave New York, or Kandahar ought to be able to leave Afghanistan? As far as I’m concerned, unless I’m missing something (maybe we should rethink the American Civil War?), this is the other real non-starter, with the unjust animals.

Resolved: Secular ethics ought to be prioritized over religious ethics in the legislative process.


This is interesting, but I wonder if it wouldn’t be a muddle, since at the core, there is no difference between the two except perceived origin.

Bottom line? Possibly one of the best lists I’ve seen. Good work!

2 comments:

Compassioninpolitics said...

>>>Resolved: The abuse of illegal drugs ought to be treated as a matter of public health, not of criminal justice.

I haven't debated or judged LD in a long while. However, this one requires the affirmative to prove far, far too much (its not a traditional comparative resolution). I think the negative has far too much room to criticize the assumption that these goals should be seen as zero sum vs. win-win. Certainly when budget priorities are made this conflict arises on a facial level--but the reality is the negative is just true.

Compassioninpolitics said...

Conversely it seems the closer "abuse of illegal drugs" is conceived as "addiction"--my guess is the easier it will be for the negative.

And overall I think criminal justice topics are both interesting and helpful for students.