Monday, August 11, 2008

Untitled track (09) by unknown artist in the [null] folder

It happens to everyone eventually, I guess. You plug your perfectly good iPod into your computer and it tells you that it has to go back to square one to restore and you’re going to lose all your data and you have no choice but to restore if you ever want to connect again and, of course, no reason for this is given. Seeing that two minutes prior to this event I was happily listening to the MegaPod untethered to Little Elvis, you can imagine my chagrin. Now, if my MegaPod weren’t twice as big as Little Elvis in the memory department, this probably wouldn’t have been a problem, but because of this limitation, I’ve always done manual syncs. Which meant, of course, that like any law-abiding musical citizen, I had mp3s scattered around on a couple of remote hard drives and some backup disks, plus a whole bunch of ripped CDs from which I’d never bothered to keep copies of the rips.

I have had a busy weekend.

The bottom line to all of this is that I am centralizing my iTunes library on one remote hard drive, where it can all fit comfortably. I am manually moving files to that location, and tapping iTunes on the shoulder and pointing it out, a process that will take about three or four more hours. And I am re-ripping a bunch of disks, but mostly putting in different disks, since this is a perfectly good opportunity to shake things up a bit. In the future, when everything I have is backed up to within an inch of its life, I will never have to worry about this again. It has been quite the drag, needless to say. Take my advice, young Skywalker. Back up your @^#%$* music, because some day, for no reason, your iPod will restore, and if you were in a situation like mine, without a straightforward sync, you will be in trouble.

We live in an amazing world, where the iPods are bigger than the computers. Or at least they were for a while. Most people nowadays wouldn’t have this problem. Or maybe they would. Whatever. It is, to put it mildly, terrible annoying.

No comments: