Monday, July 23, 2007

TOC 2007-8

The TOC quals have been announced for next year. I have to admit I find them a bit curious here and there. Without going into any petty grumbling detail, some schools I expected to move didn’t; I will admit one specific, though, that I’m disappointed that Big Jake didn’t move up to Quarters, as I think O’C has demonstrated sticking power, with a consistently national-level field, this should be rewarded. Next year, I hope. For that matter, since he’s having seven rounds, his tournament may last until next year’s bids are announced. Add to this the expected length of his award ceremony…

Bump now has a semis bid in PF. Makes sense, as I know a number of schools used their success at Bump from last year to get into the ’06 TOC. It’s also nice to think that this acknowledgment of PF in general by TOC goes some way in bestowing a blessing on the activity. I’ve made no secret of my growing enjoyment of PF (not in light of any lessening of interest in LD, but simply for PF qua PF), and I hope to field serious teams in the coming years. It’s nice to know that there’s a destination for them if they become seriously competitive beyond the normal range, as there is with LD.

Seeing the TOC news inspired me to finish updating the Bump website. It is now one draft away from finality. I still haven’t decided where to put which division, but I’m tending toward novices in the grammar school and varsity and Pfffters in the high school. For that matter, I would have no compunctions about splitting Pffft between the two schools, given that the rounds are shorter and the trip isn’t that long, but we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, the Bronx semis status is "pending." Could move up to quarters. Who knows?

Congrats on the semis bid in PF. I agree it definitely makes sense.

I plan to enter my awards ceremony after a timpani roll and a fanfare on trumpets. I toyed with the idea of a "Parade of Champions" wearing green-and-yellow sashes, but I've been overruled by my own students. Alas.

Anonymous said...

I am just catching up on your blog now. Priceless.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim, with spliting the pffters...think about the JUDGES figuring out which building to be in ("but I was waiting in the OTHER judge's lounge...")

jcv