Friday, July 13, 2007

Meet Me Up in Harlem; Sailors set for the Pups; Eat your heart out, GQ

Well, there you are. I had been thinking of offering my tabbing services to Columbia, mostly on the basis of the why-not theory of how to spend snowy Manhattan weekends. I’d talked to CP about it a little bit in passing, and figured, if he’s involved, how bad can it be? (That’s only marginally a rhetorical question.) Considering it’s on the weekend of Emory, which will certainly make things strange, I can’t imagine who will be where. For that matter, all of January is strange, so go figure. Anyhow, Scarola just got in touch and asked if I’d be willing, which is curious but not totally unexpected. Which means that I’ll probably even bring the odd Chicken of the Hud contingent along, although as a rule a couple of Sailors always sneak off on their own anyhow. My gripe against Columbia is an old one that no longer stands, which is that they used to run against Newark, which on my part was a no-brainer for about 127 reasons. But as they’re no longer in a turf war, and they’ve got Chris providing some authoritarian voice, as I say, why not?

I’ve also just battled the usual nuttiness (lots of calls and misinformation) and secured rooms for Yale. 6 of them, at the La Quinta, which was where we stayed last year except then it was a Fairfield Inn. Same dog, different kibbles. I had considered getting some extra rooms just in case, but seeing that I’ve posted at least three different requests for signups, that seemed a little pointless. I’m not exactly begging people to come. Most of the predictable folks did indeed put down their names on the virtual dotted line, and that’s about that. Now they’ve got to come up with drivers slash judges. Those who take the summer off from reading their email will learn, well, not to take the summer off from reading their email. Jeesh!

In unrelated news, O’C continues to defend his sweater. There’s one just like it in the next Indiana Jones movie (on a mannequin in a 50s clothing store on the Bullpup campus), so I guess it’s a retro thing. Or maybe I just don’t know dapper when I see it.

No comments: