Friday, July 06, 2007

I muse, therefore I am

Thoughts for the weekend:

If you see the Transformers movie, please don’t tell me about it, as I would have to hold it against you for the rest of your life.

On a similar note, my sister-in-law considers a desire to see any animated movie a character flaw. A serious character flaw. Movies should be in foreign languages (preferably obscure foreign languages so that even the natives need subtitles), popcorn should not be available, and everyone on the screen and approximately a quarter of the audience should be dead at the end. She would be even less fun at Disney World than the Old Baudleroo, as she wouldn’t even make it to the parking lot.

As an afterthought, relief facilities were made available at the Crystal Palace in 1851, thus for all practical purposes inventing the idea of the public bathroom, and, presumably, allowing visitors to the Exhibition to make a day of it, the apocryphal astronaut diaper having not been invented yet. I’ve been reading this book on Victorian daily life, and let me tell you, stick with the present.

You have to wonder about a show like Heroes, which has killed off half its cast over the course of the season, and concluded its plot line in the finale (although with hints of even deeper plot lines). My initial presumption is that they will be jumping the shark this summer. Still, one good year is more than most shows can even dream of.

WTF is bringing us live coverage of the World Schools Debating Championship in Seoul. I am at the edge of my seat, let me tell you. Next week I plan to have an argument with my wife, and I’ve invited O’C to come over to observe and post updates as Breaking News. An eager VCA awaits…

When the film Back to the Future was made, there was no intention of any sequel. The ending, going into the future, was merely seen as a fun way to end the movie. On the other hand, Charles Dickens had every intention of writing A Tale of Two More Cities and Another Tale Of Yet Some Other Cities but got distracted by his screenplay (unproduced) of Howard the Goose which was later adapted by George Lukas as the germ of the idea for American Graffiti Two.

No comments: