Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The begetting of comments; SSZZRRCRKKK; Curse you, JCH!; Dubai is the one with the oil

I have a tracking system which shows me where this blog is being read, number of views, all that sort of thing. I find it interesting that 1) anyone reads it, and 2) everyone doesn’t read it. There is no pleasing me. Anyhow, it’s curious how my comments on the comments drew comments of its own. I may be the only site kritiking WTF on a regular basis, so I think of myself as some sort of neutral counterbalance. What Antonucci discusses is interesting, but probably the issue of students not feeling free to speak up for fear of reprisals, as Bietz suggests, is true, given that most of the venom against Smilin’ J, according to my analysis, is simply coldly served vengeance from some rounds back in the 1940s. I guess the reason I like forums may be because, in addition to keeping discussions up front (or not) of their own momentum, they can afford complex systems of monitoring, plus there’s no reason not to encourage avatars for students who wish to make their opinions heard anonymously but clearly. Plus I’ve always also like the idea of discussions just for coaches (but audited by students); someone like Dave McGinnis, for instance, preaches virtually the opposite of everything I preach, and with great aplomb, and I would like to figure out more about things like theory debate from someone like him, rather than some shoulder-chipped yokel just recently pulled off the streets. I haven’t explored the new WTF forums that closely to see what, exactly, they have to offer, but I will, the next time I have some free time and remember that I wanted to do so.

On the life-goes-on-front, I am happy to report that thanks to my occasional dropping into iTunes to see what’s new, I have discovered that the Lake Wobegon monologues are now available. You used to have to pay for them through Audible. I will be adding this essential listening to the column at the right. Unfortunately my car thingie has started making funny noises; it got discombobulated not too long ago, and when I recombobulated it I have some concern that I was going for the short term at best. And now the thing is going SSZZRRCRKKK SSZZRRCRKKK off and on, which is not pleasant. While I hate to replace something that is almost working fine, I do like acquiring new electronics stuff whenever possible. Save me a place in line at the Apple Store.

Meanwhile, I’ve been remiss with updating Nostrums, and I apologize to the two of you who care about this. I’m choked up this week with all sorts of meetings and practice rounds, which do take precedence. Plus I spent an inordinate amount of time Sunday organizing the Red Light District festivities; I am annually shocked at how much time this event sucks out of my life, and curse the ground JCH, former Scarswegian coach, walks on for pulling me into this morass. With Scott the Wunn and Only joining us for this year’s confab, I guess I do need to be up with the rules, though. For one thing, I always forget about the whole draw-a-number deal for debate, and that’s not good. Then again, who among us doesn’t know who the other one is, for pete’s sake? Anyhow, organizing for Districts means also organizing the Sailors, and I’ll do that tonight at a pre-meeting. About 34 novices signed up to do LD and/or Duo. Yeah, right. Hearts will be broken. I do have a few judges lined up, at least, including Fists Phillips, thanks to O’C’s connections. Then again, you’d think O’C would be able to provide every judge from here to Catalonia, and not to put too fine a point on it, he doesn’t. Too busy earning those $5Ks, no doubt. He even reposted about Lakeland, including all the names (thank you very much, I’ve just ported them over to Excel for preprocessing).

On a critical note, we visited the Morgan Library over the weekend, and I give thumbs up to the Renzo Piano addition. Very spacious feeling, while effectively connecting the disparate pieces of the museum, and adding a nice little open space for the leisurely aperitif. If you check it out, think about what such an addition should do, and ask yourself if it does it. I think it does. The main exhibits (Steinberg and Victorian bestsellers) were also worth the trip. This will be my last off weekend for a month, and we at least used this one day advantageously. I love walking around NYC and looking at the buildings. I should give tours. (By the way, there was an article in the Times last week that got me thinking; are we done, architecturally, in New York, as compared to Dubai and/or Abu Dhabi, which I always confuse, and their similar up-and-coming cousins? More on this some other day, but I think the answer has to be yes.)

1 comment:

bietz said...

www.theldboards.org

there. a new board that will satisfy the masses because it doesn't say victory briefs on it and i won't restrict advertising... which is really what all the humbug is about anyhow, right?