Wednesday, February 07, 2007

"Snake eyes!" (as Caesar later said, in a lesser known quote)

I’ve got plebes begging on bended knee to go to States; they look like kittens on the fronts of Hallmark greeting cards. I’ve got cadets pleading with them not to go, explaining that the notion that somehow it’s really good and that their coach is simply petulant, or misguided, or mendacious, is not true, at least in this situation. Then I’ve got Termite saying that, yeah, it sucks but they should go; he then ducked too quickly for my frying pan to make contact with his head, more’s the pity. As members of the VCA know, I firmly stand on principle until someone nudges me either with a better principle or enough abject Hallmark-card pleading to make me want to put them out of my misery. I will, most likely, accede to their piteous demands; I’ll coordinate with the Speecho-Americans and see what they’re up to. The best laid plans… At least they’re only $12 a pop.

Aaarrrggghhhh!

JV reports that he’s got quite large fields for this weekend over at Scarsdale. Even his Pfffft division is knocking at the door of 30 entries, which seems to be about the New York norm (Bump had 28). He will be putting each division in a separate version of TRPC, given that he’s using the new version of the software. Either that or we drink the KoolAid when they’re all suddenly jumbled together. One thing we have to do this weekend is coordinate for Districts. As Joe points out, we need points, and some folks haven’t entered them yet. We do not wish to be a Red Light District forever, so we will work on these reprobates accordingly. We also need to work out when Regionals would be; Joe was texting me about this when he was with Catholic Charlie, but since Catholic C will be at Scarsdale on Saturday, that too can be put on the sorting table.

We talked about the new topics at last night's meeting (plural because we’ll be Pfffting a few times). They’re both interesting, although both require skadoodle-loads of research. You actually have to know something about either the UN or economics, and that’s just to get warmed up. I like that, of course. And they do have a week off (unless they’re going down to Cancun or something). Plenty of time to put their brains into it.

No comments: