Thursday, February 15, 2007

The battle of Good vs. Evil; malingering

I spent a couple of hours last night deconstructing the data files of the old TRPC, but to no avail. I was assuming that I could simply recreate them out of Word or Excel or something, then plug them back in as straight text, but there’s something about them that I’m missing that makes this obvious approach unworkable. The program points to the floppy disk for importation of text files, which means that it might as well point to Adam’s off ox insofar as that avenue is concerned; evil TRPC, on the other hand, allows you to upload from a more 21st Century location, which is Palmer’s approach with tabroom. I am perfectly willing to reprocess data through Excel into good TRPC, but sometimes this isn’t an option, especially when someone has preemptively downloaded from the Goy of Tournaments. Then again, Palmer’s tabroom.com has the benefit of having Chris Palmer behind it, so maybe he and I can work something out that will automate into the good version. Otherwise, back to the old copy and paste, which if nothing else results in running a tournament with stable software. This is nothing to be scoffed at. If anyone is out there actually running evil TRPC regularly, on a variety of computers, with no ill effect, I have yet to hear about it. At best it runs the odd tournament OK, and sometimes it works perfectly well on all burners (e.g. Ridge), but why run the risk? Do you really want to mix and match your divisions while not being able to print and not having the software accept changes that it says it’s accepting? And you wonder what we’re doing in the tab room, my little cauliflower? Ugh.

After all this data digging I couldn’t get the energy up for this week’s Nostrum; the first 38 episodes will have to suffice for the moment. Whatever zonked me out earlier in the week is still lingering. I did have the energy to watch TV and to read about Mies and Bauhaus and to thumb through this week’s New Yorker after manfully trudging out in the snow yesterday, but mostly I wanted to sleep. I’ll catch up on the normals soon enough. I’m assuming that the postponed meeting at the ship of Hud from Tuesday will transpire tonight, which should put me back on track somewhat, followed by a long weekend which will include some final WDW planning with Kt. There’s only one missing piece, the final dinner in the middle of a long MK day (park opens at 9:00, fireworks at 10:00!). Plug that into place, and all that’s left is some utilitarian tasks like acquiring the rental car. According to the widget, there’s 84 days to go.

No comments: