Friday, September 02, 2005

AOL? You've got to be kidding.

.
As in, I'd rather hold Little Elvis underwater until the bubbles stop rising before I'd subject him to the abuse known as AOL. Do you have any idea what that program does to your operating system? It's like TCP/IP heroin. It replaces all the good functions with ersatz functions dependent on it calling all the shots. Do you think I'd be the one to put a monkey on Little E's back? You know me better than that.

Still, there's the problem that most of my web stuff is at AOL. Mostly it doesn't matter much, because it's pretty static, but some things do update regularly, most noticeably the schedule. So last night I ported the sked over to geocities, which is annoying because of its advertising, but then again, what do you expect for free? By having it there, I can edit it from any of my machines, and I don't need to load AOL to ftp it through their system. Which means no monkey on Little E's back. To make this even sweeter, oh you Mac people, I finally discovered TextWrangler. Now I'm an old BBEdit jock from way back, having been weaned on BBE Lite. And TextWrangler is BBE Lite in Tiger's clothing. And free. Huzzah! (If one wonders about the sanity of giving away freebies, I eventually ended up buying quite a number of full BBEs for the office at full price, so they won in the long run.) This means that I have my favorite text editor for working on the html, the cleanest, most straightforward text editor known to man. Free. What more could I ask for? Little E is sooooo happy.

On the human front, I've solicited bids for the various team functions (hardware engineering, novice coordinating, public relating). I have some ideas, but I want people to have a shot at them. They may come up with something that hadn't occurred to me. I don't want to screw people inadvertently; I prefer to screw them deliberately. And I've set up one last chez at home for Tuesday, and posted it in the team calendar, which sends out reminders.

I heard from Dario yesterday, and they're thinking of doing a tournament on the now open first weekend of January. I'm wildly in favor of this, as it would both be a prep for Lex plus an MHL! Lovely. I hate to have an open weekend anywhere in the schedule, and I like seeing Ridge and Dario in there swinging. I hope this works out for everybody involved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's RSS?
Note: These web addresses generate XML feed files, which are not viewable in most standard web browsers.
My affiliate site:free email