Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Boots and amusements (or maybe, amuse boots, like in the fancy restaurants?)

Last night I created a boot disk on an SD card, which is mostly just a stupid Mac trick. It took forever, though, probably because the SD card isn’t particularly fast. Now, when Bigger Elvis slips into a coma, I’ll be able to resuscitate it with this tiny little boot disk. Whoop-dee-doo. I was going to wait for Snow Leopard to create it, but that didn’t seem necessary, and to be honest, I’m going to hold up installing SL for a while, even though I should have it from Amazon any minute now. I’ve heard that a lot of apps aren’t Snow-ready yet, like Cyberduck, which I use for FTP, and which I would not want to be without because you know that the minute I can’t use it I’ll have a file the size of Cleveland that I won’t be able to upload. Isn’t that always the case?

I’ve now fully signed up for Monticello, unless some other Sailors get the urge all of a sudden. I haven’t shut down the signup database. Good old NoShow will be judging for us; first time in a while, but it turns out he’s back in the area. I love putting his name on the schematics, because there’s always some yoyo who thinks that we’ve predetermined that their judge isn’t going to show up. I am amused by the simplest things.

Speaking of being amused, if you didn’t see this via Boing Boing, check ‘em out: Disney Marvel mashup art. Some of them are pretty funny.

Tonight we’ll chez up on Sept-Oct, as I’ve said. Then the Sailors recruit tomorrow at some special deal for incoming noobs, then I think we’ll skip next week (first week of school, most returning students are just starting on their summer reading assignments, and I’d hate to get in the way), which means we have the noob meeting the week after that. I love that frisson of newness. What will this year’s harvest reap? We’ll see. And I’ll be posting an updated MHLW schedule, with instructor names, the minute, the absolute minute, O’C has the names to put into it. (Can you hear my impatient foot tap tap tapping?)

No comments: