Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Fingers poised over the keyboard? Na'ah.

I just gave thumbs up to an accordion track on Pandora. Something tells me this will not end well.

Registration for Sorta Large Bronx opens tonight at midnight. I assume that this late hour is in honor of some sort of tradition, and for all I know the opening of registration is actually named after some Bronx alum or other. Most of the universe has moved to a more sane opening in the middle of the day, which makes things easier for East Coasters who, perhaps, would rather be asleep at midnight than signing up their TBAs just to get their slots set, but at least the Californians can sign up before they put on their pajamas, if Californians even own pajamas. Anyhow, if it’s a tradition, it will never change. Tevye O’C wouldn’t allow it.

Speaking of naming things after alums, I understand that this year each of the Foods of the World Unite is thusly credited. The Matt Dunay Baked Ziti. The Nita Lowey Scallion Cream Cheese. The Jon Cryer Swedish Meatballs. All sliced with the Bobby Darin (Mack the) Knife.

Is it October yet? On the plus side of the balance sheet, I've marked one of my two tabroom accounts (don't ask) as email-free. Which means that henceforth I'll only get one each of O'C's inevitable bazillion emails. The barrage has already started. I guess writing them gives him something to do while he's waiting for them to cut up his raw, dead fish at Japonica.

The topics will be released on August 15. For those who missed it, starting this year, PF will do the same topic in both September and October. This is a boon to us around here, given that there’s only one tournament in September, and what with the Jewish holidays and all, the first month of school is usually more like three days and then all of a sudden it’s October and we’re all looking for our woolies. And if you’re an NFL member, you can start to vote tomorrow for the next batch of LD topics. I’ve already given my analysis, and something tells me that the ones I ranked highest will mostly be the ones that stick. (Go back and find them, you lazy lout, if you can’t remember them. It wasn’t all that long ago.) There was quite a gap between the usables and the what-were-they-thinkings.

By the way, I’ve got something new I’ve been working on, and I should be able to bring it out next Monday. It’s not new new, but the approach is new enough, and I think people will like it.

And with that, I’m going to bed. A la Scarlett, I’ll think about Sorta Large tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks like Yale's noon opening opened earlier than 8:20 am. Interestingly, it appears I've been shut out in a bunch of events. I hope you'll be letting more folks in! Pretty please? :o)

Unless I am just getting a generic message that events are full because you are manually approving all entries. But that seems to not be the case, because I did get in some entries in some events.

Help! :o)

The tradition re: the New York City Invitational is a George Lucas midnight opening. I am glad to build excitement to start the season!