Tuesday, July 09, 2013

How I Spent MSV, final installment

For members of the VCA who couldn't care less, good news. This will be the last vacation post, unless something occurs to me to report on separately thirteen years from now.

The Victoria & Albert is one of our favorite museums. Fans were breaking down the doors to see the special Davey Jones David Bowie exhibit; I've never seen a line for anything there before, and this one rivaled Alexander McQueen at the Met. As someone who prefers the Shatner version of Space Oddity, we passed on that.
We headed over to Camden Market, where you can pick up all your Goth essentials, among other things. This market has been around forever, and it mixes amazing crap with some really interesting items. Worth a visit, but not the first time you're in England. If you're like me, you can ponder this sign forever and never actually figure it out:
One thing I'll say about the Brits: they understand nutrition:
This little school was in the middle of a park. We watched a series of students do wonderful things or practically kill themselves for a while:
I cannot strongly enough recommend the Museum of the City of London. Very educational, plus a lot of amazing artifacts. With the oldest stuff, it provides context for a lot of items in the British Museum.
There's this little pocket park with a Fanfare for the Common Man wall, with all these plaques celebrating unsung heroes. I love the language.
One last famous dead person, in a memorial not far from the original grave site. The French have it all over the Brits when it comes to cemeteries.
And finally, an artsy shot of the Millennium Bridge. And so we bid a fond farewell...
The whole set of pictures is on Flickr.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Memorial to Heroic Self Sacrifice -- pictured in this post -- is an often-overlooked, wonderfully Victorian item. Just a few years ago, they installed the first new plaque in almost eighty years. Highly recommended!

Pjwexler said...

Fun factoid- At least fun to me. The younger Bowie and future film director arrived at my alma mater the summer after I graduated. He took up antics in the same dormitory room I resided in during my own first year of college sojourn.

So the very windows which were misted with my breast or misted by his. I'm reasonably certain that he didn't feel the need to not wash his hands after climbing on the same cot bed springs however. And I don't know if Maj. Tom ever made an appearance in said abode.