Thursday, July 04, 2013

I stand corrected

Regarding my post on museums, says Claire:

LIES LIES LIES. There are THREE museums in Paris: Orsay, Louvre, and the Pompidou, which I love and I don't care what you think of me.

I have been to the Pompidou. I love that you can look out from the stairs, which are not inside the building, and see a lot of Paris. I'm rather taken by the idea of the machinery of a building being removed from its interior. And, well, they do have a lot of great stuff, although when I was there I unfortunately drifted into the area where it was all just piles of dirt with labels claiming that they were artworks. If one of the goals of art is to make you think, and I believe that it is, then Pompidou is a wild success. I just happen to be a philistine at heart. Even in NY, I go to the Met about ten times to every one visit to MOMA. What can I say?

Here's a video on their site:

http://www.centrepompidou.fr/cpv/ressource.action?param.id=FR_R-89fd49e847165bc78d564f6dbeb6777¶m.idSource=FR_E-2ab598d3369ad7a58ead7e6be32ba7b

No comments: