Thursday, October 07, 2010

My petition for more time

I’m going crazy lately.

First of all, I’m up to my eyeballs in DJ, which seriously impinges my ability to do almost anything else. After all, these are the folks who pay the bills, and they get first crack at me. In a way, this is good (it means I’m still gainfully employed) but it also means that my energies get sapped from the night job. Most of the time I can keep the balance pretty well, but, as I say, lately not so well. But wait, there’s more.

On top of running the debate team, I have seconded myself over to Speech for a while as we seek a new coach for the Speechonauts. Not only does this add the time of the Wednesday night meeting to my schedule, but also the planning of the meeting, and the thinking about the meeting, and the next thing you know, I’ve created another gap in my existence. I love the Speechonauts like Elmo loves Katy Perry, but as I told the Commander at the Hud, I just don’t have the time. With luck, this will be resolved shortly, and in a couple of weeks I can, at the very least, have my Wednesdays back.

Speech is fun, though. Last night we concluded that the Speechoplebes should start with OI because they don’t have to memorize, and we brainstormed some authors. I also watched a Speechonaut I had only previously watched doing a somber OI as this time he did a hilarious Duo. (All right, half a hilarious Duo.) Hidden depths! That’s why it’s so much fun. Anyhow, next week the Speechoplebes have to bring some pieces to the meeting to start work on. They’re targeting liftoff on 10/23. Not far away at all…

Meanwhile, tonight is Parent Night at the naval academy, postponed from last week (because of tornados or earthquakes or monsoons or potato blight or some damned thing). Yet another night out of the house. Oy.

And tomorrow, Monticello. I need a tournament to catch a break from everything else. I have a ton of stuff to do for NYSDCA, worked out with O’C last Saturday at the workshop, and finally I’ll get a chance. I don’t even remember what it was that I was supposed to do, but I wrote it down, hopefully clearly enough to actually do it.

Of course, we can’t misunderestimate the existence of Bump in all of this sapping of the Menickean strength. Registration opened Friday, and I didn’t look at it until Sunday, at which point it was virtually closed. I remarked to CP about the swiftness with which tournaments fill up these days, and he suggests that the ease of the software alleviates all the hoo-ha we used to have when it was every man for himself. Could be. In any case, I managed to carve out some extra rooms, which meant that I was able to open up the Novice PF (fully subscribed) a little bit without impinging on VPF. I am happy that NPF caught on so quickly. I just sent out a message telling people which of the 500 possible scenarios I’ll be using as the PF resolution (FYI, the official NFL one). Makes me glad, for the moment, I’m in the LD universe.

Anyhow, that's what I'm up to, if you're wondering. Et voila! Back to it.

No comments: