Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The First Annual Hide-and-Seek Round Robin

There are those of us who wonder where the RR will be tomorrow. There are those of us who just trust that turning left in Chelsea will be close enough… HoraceMann, the Superhero Without any Superpowers, apparently gave up on trying to find the place and I won’t have him to judge for us after all (or argue with me about movies), but O’C promises that he’ll be able to cover the Panivore’s judging, for a tidy sum. I certainly hope so. I don’t have the time myself to do it, because I’m about a million years behind on things like the NYSDCA, not to mention setting up for Jake.

Speaking of tournaments, Bump is now in the pupa stage, where the parts all start to come together in the little cocoon of tabroom. Everything’s waitlist at this point. All I have to do is track registration changes, which at this point are more people signing up to wait. The P.C.’s mother has begun the housing campaign. There’s not much else to do at this point. By the way, next year we’re running on 11/11/11. How very binary of us.

Last night’s Sailor session included a faux practice round, where the Panivore insisted that cyberpunks would hack into the wireless at USSTRATCOM and thence nuke us all back into the stone age despite the P.C.’s protestations to the contrary that they might have halfway decent security around the launching sites. I think the round would have been better if someone hadn’t brought Saltines to the meeting. Waving a box of Saltines in front of you-know-who is an invitation to what, for her, is a food orgy. Moving away from gluten addiction to drug addiction, we discussed Nov-Dec for a while without much traction. It’s a little hard to figure out what the aff is actually proposing, for one thing. We live in the neg world. What, exactly, is the aff world, then? And I keep stumbling over the “abuse of illegal drugs,” wondering what the opposite of that is—the “use of illegal drugs?” Oh, well. I don’t have to debate it…

I have to say, I’m looking forward to the next four days and all the excitement, but I’m also looking forward to the subsequent three weeks, devoid of weekend excitement aside from one-day events. 190 LDers at Jake? That’s a lot of ballot entry. With MJP? Oy, but I think I’m pretty good at it now after working with JV at Yale. Still, there’s going to be a lot of tsuris in the air, with half the 5-2s having to fight it out in a run-off (or, to put it another way, to break to a partial triple, or as they call it in the Bronx, quasidecimalduckobuckos or something like that). You could conceivably win this tournament by having to go for 14 straight rounds.

Brink your oxygen tank.

No comments: