Monday, August 23, 2010

Packing up all my cares and woes

I read that Toy Story Mania is shut down unexpectedly. This is unfortunate, as it is one of the big E-tix attractions at Hollywood Studios, and one for the whole DiDeAd group, as compared to, say, Expedition Everest, which is only for we heartier folk. It might come back up—the rumor is that they were fixing a fence or something—so maybe all is not lost. Oh well.

The weather reports are pure summer Florida, with varying probabilities but not guarantees of t-storms every day, and 90-degree temperatures. Quelle shockeur, as they don’t say in France. There is a tropical disturbance kicking up out in the Atlantic, but at the moment it looks like it will stay there. You know, the reason I usually go in the Spring is to avoid stuff like this. Damned debate interferes with my vacation schedule big time! The retiring Tarnish Jutmoll has the right idea, if you ask me!

Speaking of retiring, CP is off this week without an electrical socket, catching tuna off the porch of his Maine cabin or something, leaving Catholic Charlie and me to plug up any holes that spring in tabroom.com. I have been enjoying my superpowers, I must admit, but I can’t fix things worth a damn. I can help folks set up leagues and tournaments, wreaking enormous havoc in the process, but when the error messages start to fly in whatever gobbledygook language the thing is programmed in, you can include me out. I used to program in Basic on the Apple back when this was the thing to do, but that was back in the 80s. The 80s? They had computers back then? Hell, yes. I had an Apple II+. With the full 48K memory. Didn’t get me a hard drive until I got my IIGS, though…

Anyhow, we’ve got the house-sitter lined up to care for the poor cats, and we’ve started pulling together appropriate apparel for the journey. I can’t wait to break out my Hawaiian shirt that I think I have never worn, that is absolutely perfect for the occasion. I’ll make sure O’C gets a picture of it.

Meanwhile, on the home front, it turns out that Speecho-Americans are as deaf to my pleas for their pieces as debaters are to my pleas for their cases. Do I need a better mouthwash? A stronger deodorant? More hair? Aaargghh!

No comments: