Wednesday, August 04, 2010

(Aside)

Elegantly put: http://www.azuen.net/2010/08/04/where-am-i/

So much of what seems to be the controlling element of the activity these days might be ruining it for everyone else. While I don't want to dumb LD down, do I want to smarten it up so much that it's inaccessible? I want as many people on my team, at as many different levels, as possible. Given the presumption that they do some work, everyone can gain from the activity, even though everyone can't win TOC. Should we be working so hard to design the activity for the TOC winners, and ignoring, and perhaps harming everyone else?

For writing like this, I'll forgive CP for wanting to vote for net neutrality!

1 comment:

Alex said...

Seeing as how I can't respond to Chris on his website (damn you lack of a commenting system), I'll respond here.

In all honesty, I understand a lot of his concerns. However, the solution is not to change LD. There is no need or way to modify this activity unless you add new rules, many of which would wipe out the merits of the activity. Instead, we need to eliminate PF and replace it with parliamentary debate.

One topic per round? Check. Longer speech times? Check. A convention valuing slow persuasive speaking over speed? Check. A premium on general knowledge over intense specific research? Check. Honestly, the worst thing that the NFL did last decade was to make an entirely new event instead of just adapting a popular college event that would solve all of their goddamn problems.