Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tech in 2010; Debate in the Dark Ages; Movies in Hudville

Sometimes good ol’ tabroom.com seems like a moving target. I feel sorry for CP having to patch it up all by his lonesome, but I’m a user, not a programmer. I mean, I’ve programmed in my day, but that was back on the old Apple II+. And I’ve done some serious systems design for the DJ, and even run a systems department. It’s amazing how one can go from tech type to a person perfectly content to turn something on and just have it work. That might be the appeal of Apple products for me: they do what I need to get done and I don’t have to spend a lot of time figuring them out. It’s as if I’ve gone through and come out the other end. Anyhow, as I try to plumb the depths of the tabroom software, it’s one message to CP after another. And all he wants to do is sit on his porch and swat flies. Life should be so easy.

O’C has posted the invite to Big Jake. Mostly it’s just a recapping of the Big Jakes of the past. Déjà vu all over again. Or debate vu, in O’C’s case. Thank God Bronx didn’t have debate a thousand years ago. We’d all have to slog our way through the winners of, for instance, Grandus Bronxius MCCIX, which was held in Byzantium, I think, including the Maximus Boostus Bumbum Awardium which went to Abelard right after the tragic op but which didn’t quite make up for the loss, etc., etc., etc. O’C insists that there are others who care as much as he does about debate history and the like, but has yet to offer up any names. I guess he knows I would have to kill them, so it’s better my not knowing.

Inception, on a Tuesday night in Hudville, had a packed theater. I guess if you give people a movie that has some originality and doesn’t treat the audience as brain-dead seven-year-olds, they’ll actually go to it. What a concept! It doesn’t bode well for the producers of Garfield III. Speaking of which, am I the only person who thinks that in one brilliant stroke we could create the best trilogy ever? Think of it: Godfather 3D. It would change everything.

No comments: