Tuesday, September 29, 2009

X*4?, Born to Compute, Hotel Bump (featuring towels!)

I have been accused by CP of tabbing ineptitude. The nerve of this guy! I was tabbing before he was born. I was tabbing by index cards before they invented personal computers. Before they invented index cards, I was there tabbing when all we had was rocks. You’d move the rocks around in the brackets…very good for upper body tone. Anyhow, just because I can’t do the math on the number of judges required for double flights does not mean I can’t run out for Diet Cokes and disappear for three hours when it’s time to enter the ballots. Jeesh! This guy is incredible.

Of course, the Pups is merely a distraction from this year’s lack of official novices. One has signed up, and that’s it. Others pretend to be a part of the team, but they are invisible to me until they’re on the listserver. Maybe they really did quit. We’ll find out tonight at the meeting. If it’s this hard getting them to send me an email, I’ll bet getting them to fill out the medical and permission slips will be a true deal-breaker. Those who opine on how today’s students are so much more technological than today’s adults need to come by and meet a few students of my acquaintance. Jeesh yet again. Maybe it’s because I appointed the wrong novice coordinators. I would have thought the PC and the Panivore would be perfect. Little did I know…

Bump is moving along, meanwhile. We’ve actually got a cheap rate on a hotel! It’s a little further than the usual in Peekskill, but it’s hard to argue with a nice place that’s $79 a room. And the food and the judges’ lounge are both launched. As usual Dave will take care of the candy tables; he has an uncanny ability to find cheap soda no one wants to buy, although as he says, it really is cheap. He was not an economics major in college, methinks. Speaking of judges, a number of former Sailors are returning to the roost, so there will be some souls for sale, and a nice post-tournament dinner. Rumor has it that there’s a new Indian restaurant in the neighborhood. Time for a research trip! I have nothing against India House but they close awfully early. Most restaurants in Sailorville close awfully early, for that matter. Makes one jealous of those city folks.

And tomorrow night we’ll be recording the first TVFT V2.0. We live in exciting times, don’t we?

No comments: