Thursday, September 10, 2009

When I'm not playing Tiger Woods 10 on the Wii...

The numbers for the MHL Workshop have perked up a bit, and this definitely looks worthy on its own merits. And it is worthier still as a dipping of the oar into the water for the future. We didn’t have much choice about timing this year, and of course we added it to the schedule late in the season, but next year things will be different. The big thing is to wait a bit till novices are on board, obviously. After that, we’ll see what flies and what doesn’t in the actual doing of it. O’C has assembled a strong team to do the instructing, and the only thing I need to do is figure out with CP what the hell our shared PF module is all about. Other than that, it’s coaches with O’C and brainstorming ModNov with novices. Simple enough, I think. I’m looking forward to it.

On the NYSFL front, there is, as you know, a discussion database now, and we kicked around some ideas about qualifications. The thing is, if a tournament simply ranks people by number, the qual system is fine, I guess, but when there’s break rounds, it falls down. How do you determine 11th place in a tournament that breaks to doubles? If the 11th seed drops in doubles, then is that person still 11th? Et cetera, et cetera. Some different ideas were proposed; I hope action is taken in that area. Other than that, we talked in our summer meeting about redesigning the website, and I volunteered to work on that, so that will be my next bit of business. We did agree that we would pile on a sort of Care Package of material for new coaches, which I have plenty of and I’m sure others have as well. Anyhow, that will be my next thing, when I get a few spare minutes.

And oh, yeah, I sent in my LD topic ballot yesterday. That is so complicated. I think it's the way it is because everyone loves preferential balloting so much; organizing those piles at a district tournament were always the high point. I watch the Wunn and Only do it in his sleep when I was the World's Worst District Chair (a title I still hold, albeit emeritus).

While you’re reading this, SuperSquirrel is recruiting novices with all her heart and soul. One thing that I did ask her to make clear was that one need not be a freshman to sign up, which is a common misconception. Of course, I’d prefer to catch elvers rather than eels, but an old fish is better than no fish. And, of course, I’ll have to clean up my act here for a few weeks as they come on board, young or old. Not that that many Sailors ever actually tie up here, but if some newbies do by accident, I’d hate to scare them away just by blogging about them.

No comments: