Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Having played dramatically subpar golf, I hang my head in shame and think coachean thoughts

If nothing else, Snow Leopard definitely starts up and shuts down faster that Snowless Leopard. That’s something, anyhow. Apparently I need Rosetta for some printer stuff, which the interwebs tell me won’t screw me up or anything, so I’ll do that tonight. And as I knew Cyberduck is dormant. I heard that Flash was an old outdated version with security flaws (Apple ain't big on publicizing that one), so I updated that. Fusion PC emulation still runs, although when I tested it I was told there’s an update, which I’ve downloaded but not installed. One thing at a time… More to come as I learn it.

I did use some time over the weekend to update Bump. Here’s the overview: mostly, it’s the same. But, I’m eliminating late-change fines. I just can’t get my mind around them, especially in this economic environment. The fees are set, then you pay ‘em, that should be enough, except for one thing. I’m charging $25 a missed judging round, including those yabbos who tell me in advance that they won’t be there for all the rounds. Since I have to buy more judging to cover those rounds, that’s money out of my pocket. No teams with fines outstanding by the final prelim round will be allowed to break (or collect ballots and awards). Suitably draconic? We’ll see.

Otherwise, as I say, mostly the same. I’ve eliminated speed check-in because the physical plant just doesn’t support it unless I were doing it myself, and I can’t guarantee that I will. I’ll try, but I won’t advertise it. And I’ve updated the fields on tabroom.com, although only with the blunt instrumentation of early draftiness. With luck, this will be a done deal by the end of this coming weekend. And I’ll try a podcast of opening remarks again; with luck my site host won’t be hacked again like it was last year.

Surprisingly enough, I’ve already got a novice signed up for the team listserver. SS and the P were apparently successful last week at the recruitment event, and Gung-Ho@gmail.com is already in for the duration. Well, not really Gung Ho, of course, but he might as well be, although in this day and age that does sound mildly vulgar. Anyhow, he might even come down to the Bronchial workshop. We’ll see. School starts for real tomorrow, first meeting next week. Let’s hope we get the proverbial boatload. They’ll all jump ship soon enough, but at least I like to start big.

Speaking of the workshop, a note to O’C: #&^%@$%#@&)*#, you *&#^@%$#$!!! As for everyone else, we’ve got good numbers in most events so far, mostly just failing with novice policy. I did send out a reminder to sign up or cut bait, so that might help. I’d hate to lose a division that would have people in it, but I will cut in advance anything that is undersubscribed. But as I say, most of it looks good. It’s amazing what people will take if you give it away for free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch!