Monday, September 07, 2009

Preparing to play subpar golf, I meditate on OS issues, O'C entropy, shared drives and applied mathematics

I'm hanging around waiting to drive out to golf.

Bigger Elvis is sitting next to me, installing Snow Leopard, which takes forever, of course. I bit the bullet, in other words. But I checked drivers, and I should be okay with printers, and as far as other software, I don't have much, and the thing still has that new-car smell, so I figured, how bad could it be? I'll find out tonight, I guess. Anyhow, I've been religiously backing up, so if there is some dire problem, I'll be set.

This Saturday is the MHL Workshop, provided O'C ever tells me who the instructors are. He claims that places like Camp WTFaMucka don't assign modules until a couple of days after it starts, which may be true but which does not warm the cockles of my particular heart. On the other hand, what does warm the cockles is that now every activity except for novice policy is reasonably large, and there's still more to come. Novice pol may suffer for it being so early in the year; if numbers stay down, we'll can it, but we've still got a few days to find out. If you haven't signed up yet, you might want to do so now.

Oh. Bigger E just booted, although the disk never stopped chugging. Whatever.

Speaking of tech, the People's Champion told me in response to my recent plaintive plea about shared drives that I could set the drives to be read, but it doesn't work like that on Little E, at least. You either set it for sharing drives, or not. No specifying which drives. This is beginning to become interesting (albeit ultimately unimportant). I may do more research, especially since the alternative is biting my nails to the stubs over O'C and the workshop.

Still installing, despite reboot. Time remaining, 33 minutes. I'm leaving in about ten minutes, as soon as I make a sandwich.

Enjoy the weekend (it's been gorgeous here in the NE). Oh, speaking of which, one thing. Although the pieces on WTF are interesting, and may indeed reflect trends, it is more by coincidence than mathematics. Having worked in statistics at the DJ, I can pretty safely say that the samples are way too small for any decent analysis of the TOC beyond the anecdotal. Fun, in other words, but be wary of taking it to the bank. Remember, you've heard this from 100% of the coaches surveyed by this website.

No comments: