Friday, June 12, 2009

Video fans worldwide rejoice, etc.

So for reasons that elude me completely, I decided I desperately needed a Flip. I just opened the box. I bought an older model that takes regular batteries; I don’t know why, but the idea of built-in batteries didn’t sit right with me (says the guy staring longingly at the MacBook Pro). My plan is not, I promise, to start doing this blog as a video. I don’t know what my plan is, to tell you the truth, beyond playing with a new toy. We’ll see.

I’m thinking that I should turn on AIM for one hour a day. Like the hour I’ll be at home and receiving visitors. Otherwise just leave your card in the silver tray. Speaking of AIM, I noticed that O’C appears, IMs, then wanders off. Just like real life.

We’re hoping to set up a meeting to resolve issues over the NYS tournament. In-person is probably the best way to do things. Maybe the last weekend of June. If one operates from the assumption that we all want to do what is best for our debaters, we might indeed solve most of our differences. Fingers crossed.

I’ve heard back from MB South about the coaches discussion site, and MB West promises to respond during the down time at NatNats. Given that NatNats has more down time than a goose factory, I should be hearing from him quite soon. [Aren’t you glad you didn’t have to put in your own metaphor there for a change. I’m feeling frisky today.] I’ve got a feeling that nothing but good is going to come out of this. (Parenthetically, I’ve passed my proposal along to CP, whose input can only make it better. His first reaction was to let in the speech coaches. MB West’s reaction to that was NSFW, but as CP says, a coach is a coach is a coach, or at least he said something like that, it was in AIM, which I’m obviously still attempting to get the hang of.) I did sort of promise not to argue all the issues here, but to stick with arguing them directly with 2MB, which is hard, but I’ll do my best.

We’re in the season of coach moves, and good news around here is that the Edgemont program, which Ben Wittwer has been leading strongly, will pass into the hands of former Lakelander Matt Mallia when Ben moves on to law school. And Brian Manuel, a familiar polician face, will be assisting a bit at that very Lakeland venue. Waiting to hear what happens up in the land of the Albino Bagel, et (a few) alia. One always bites one’s nails worrying that a program might go orphaned, but then again there’s glimmers of new life in places like Harrison, where He Who Fills in Every Inch of the Ballot is putting together a new team. We’ve got a new deal where any new team gets a free ride for the year in the MHL. Not bad. Thinking of putting together a new team of your own? Heh, heh, kiddo, the first one is free…

No comments: