Monday, June 22, 2009

Calendar quandaries

I started adding Feed articles here a day early. So sue me. I had a little time on my hands Sunday morning.

One thing that occurs to me early on is that the headlines of Feed articles need to be separate from non-Feed, so henceforth I’ll note the former as, surprise surprise, “Feed.” If a subject line says “Feed: Unemployment in Lower Slobovia” then that is a take on an article elsewhere. If the subject lines says “Hair in LD coaching is highly overrated” without the lead of the word Feed, then it’s just me talking without any references to anything else. Literal online references, that is. Everything I write is in reference to something, just not necessarily one particular something in an online article. Got it? Good.

I just learned that next year the first day of Sailor school (Hen Hud, not Annapolis), is 9/9, which by me is halfway into year’s end. Jeesh. Needless to say, this will eliminate any novices from us for the MHLi. Too bad, but not much can be done about it. Our first meeting won’t be till the following Tuesday. Oh, well. At least I can bring a second-year yabbo or two, I hope. My understanding is that Labor Day is as late as it can possibly be this year, hence the late first day of school. We say this every year, that this year the calendar is weird. It seems as if every year the calendar is weird. We’re pretty good at planning and communicating and whatnot, but this coming year is going to be nutty. Late school start (at least for me), dueling tournaments post-Emory, O’C going to Las Vegas to marry Bette Midler instead of running Big Jake (okay, that’s only partly true, and not a very big part)—strange times icumen in.

Possibly the biggest unresolved issue calendar-wise for next season is the Northeast Championships. We have at least three possible scenarios; I won’t confuse you with them now, on the fear that you might believe that any one of them is more likely than any other. A lot depends on how well we are able to resolve the issues outstanding with the NYSFL, which we should know shortly. Then we can attack TNC. I like TNC. I like pulling in schools from Jersey and Massachusetts and Pennsylvania as well as New York for one last brouhaha. This one this year at Needham seemed quite collegial, and now I know where Needham is if, in fact, I ever need ham. Anyhow, I'll update you when there's something to update

Speaking of calendars, though, the html calendar I maintain, plus the Google calendar, are both pretty up-to-date for next year. Feel free to consult them and, for that matter, if you have something you want me to add, let me know. The more the merrier, eh?

No comments: