Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Quest-ce que c'est un "qi"?; I always like to think it's actually Mario Cuomo

One has to wonder when one became such a Scrabulous fan that when the app went down, there was nothing left for it but to turn one’s mind to thoughts of the noumenon (which my down-to-earth spell-checker does not even recognize as a word). Just as I was about to demonstrate to HoraceMan, TSWASP, that one can win the game handily using only normal words and random vulgarities, slam, we were done. I’m a person who needs his distractions. This will never do.

If for no other reason than to amuse O’C, I have pre-ordered The Force Unleashed. Granted it’s the PS2 version, but as yet no one has given me a Wii, nor have I lost so much sanity that I believe I should actually buy one (or any other of the latest consoles). I have been caught out as a DS owner, but that’s only for Mario and crosswords; I can’t imagine a Star Wars game working all that well on it. There is something comforting about playing a Mario game, though. I’d like to say it reconnects me with my youth, but I think I was already way into my dotage when the very first Mario came around. Mostly I think I do it so that people will look at me and say, You’re doing what? Anyhow, I’m not much of a gamer because I don’t have the time for it, but this is probably for the best. If I were your age, sonny, I’d never get any work done. I’d be there with controller in hand 24 by 7, working my way through the gazillionth level of WOW or whatever. As it is, I’ve been on level 2 of Mario now for about a month. And I always thought the hand-eye thing was the last to go.

With the judging lecture behind me, tonight it’s back to the cur. I do hope we get some novices this year. It would be such a waste if this time out they all joined the tropical fish club instead. And if McCain chooses Romney, will the number of "Mitt Happens" headlines top ten thousand?

No comments: