Monday, January 07, 2008

The only blog you'll read today that doesn't mention the New Hampshire primary. Oops. Sorry about that. But we won't mention it again. Promise.

Good grief! It’s Monday. A real Monday of a real week. We are about to get back to business (with apologies to those who debated last weekend, and were already thinking that business was open and brisk—as you relativists all know by now, my view of the universe is the only one that counts, so suck it up, which is as good an advertisement for objectivism as any I’ve heard, aside from being hit over the head with a brick).

Anyhow, I had to take drastic measures with the XML of The View from Tab. All attempts to wrestle it to the ground failed, and I did finally have to toss it out with yesterday’s spinach bones. There was a fatal error in there somewhere, but I couldn’t find it. So, I grabbed the Nostrum XML and started over using that as a template. I poked in the Geopolitics lecture, and Voila! It appeared like an angel from on high, bearing its fiery sword or whatever, and we’re back in business (albeit without an iTunes archive listing). This will of course only be of interest to the three people who actually subscribe to TVFT, aside from those schadenfreuders who like watching me have problems. But it satisfies me. I hate when something simple doesn’t work. Considering that one merely copies the XML code from Apple in the first place and then fills in the blanks, this isn’t rocket surgery. But after you kludge up your code with item after item, anything can happen, and in this case, it did. But, all’s well that ends well, if you consider broadcasting geopolitical lectures a well ending.

Speaking of small circles of interest, I noticed an email from my biggest Nostrum fan (which I haven’t opened yet, because it’s too unspeakably sad to consider), no doubt bemoaning the lack of new installments. I think I have reached the point of saturation. I did about fifty percent of the thing, and that’s quite a bit. I’ll probably post the remaining episodes as pdfs, though, to make it a complete set, for those interested. I mean, there are just so many hours in the day, and as much as I enjoyed recording these things, I have other stuff I have to do. Too bad Jules is still in Moravia, and the Mite is raising children the way allergens raise hives. This really is a job for the original instigators, who have moved on to newer pastures. They should be the ones rotating this crop [sic]. Why I got involved is beyond me. So my poor biggest fan will be left bereft. Maybe I should send her the tee shirt…

Meanwhile, I find it curious when I go to the debate blog aggregator that mostly it’s just me and O’C (via WTF). Occasionally there’s a piece from the Pffft guy, but every time I go to his site tracking something interesting I discover another posting where he’s quoting me, which is, from my perspective, pretty bizarre. If I say something nice about Pfffft, he references it (despite his distaste for my use of the name Pfffffft). Well, let’s see if he picks this up: You know, I’ve been thinking a lot about PF lately, and I’ve decided it’s entirely for poopy-heads. If he reprints that, then I’ll start believing that there really is a tooth fairy.

And finally, speaking of poopy-heads, I wonder if there’s any truth to the rumor that O’C, envious of the success of Hannah Montana, has changed his name to Corky New Yorky. I certainly hope so. He’s been talking about upgrading the interview he did with me back in the day (which can’t hold a candle to either of the interviews I did with him, the real one or the Irish one, both still available on my podcast page and elsewhere). I don’t know what he wants to add. That I dodder more than I did? That it turns out that I am seriously beatable at Scrabulous? That no amount of hounding will get me to watch Howard the Duck? All of the above? Hell, if anyone wants to know what I think, they can join the VCA. What else do they need to know? Jeesh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PF is a good debate that makes debaters think about the audience insteadof the arguments. That is good. I think more coaches need to have students do a vareity of events. LDers can be very good a PF and policy debaters can be very good at LD. Going to policy is tough, but I have seen a lot of good LDers do it.

don't knock PF. The press comes to watch and it might save debate.

Anonymous said...

Good grief. I love PF. I live for PF. I named all my children PF. I have PF for breakfast every day, even when I'm not hungry. Please pay more attention, or I'll have to take away your blog-reading privileges.

brandon said...

boji, I want to know when significant national press came out of a PF round. I'll even cut you a break, when has there ever been any significant national coverage about any event in this decade.

Sounds like a WTF question actually. I'll need to ask him as well.