Tuesday, January 15, 2008

It's Jujube time; useless judges; rippin' into the Goy; I just flew in from Emory and boy are my arms tired

My guess is that the writing I do on art is akin to the part of the Marx Brothers movie where the comedy stops and Harpo and Chico play the harp and piano respectively, and anyone with a brain in their head goes out and buys some popcorn or goes to the bathroom until it’s over. But still, I enjoy doing it. Someday I will walk into a museum and exclaim, “Now that’s a pile of dirt!” But until that time, I need to keep sorting out what makes one pile of dirt a work of art and another a reason to call the custodian and tell him to bring up a mop. If you choose to join me on these journeys, I’m glad for the company. If not, well, it’s not as if you’re paying me or anything, so suck it up, you spalpeen. After all, if it wasn’t for me, you wouldn’t even know there was such a word as spalpeen, so take your benefits where you find them.

For reasons that I don’t yet understand, although I have a glimmer, a handful of judges at Lex were marked by CP’s program as useless. Now, I’m the first one to remark, casually or otherwise within the confines of a tab room, that so-and-so’s value in a judging pool is analogous to [you know the drill, sports fans], but to have a program that can detect this in advance? Now that’s a major leap forward in computer technology. I suspect the problem is some back-end juggling of judges from one pool to another to build up Friday’s LD, but I’ll let CP sort it out. I like to consider myself the debugger who officially beats up his program so that he can make it perfect. My guess is that he has a different opinion completely, especially when I write up my continuing saga here.

I spent last night prepping the Goy for Districts, which at this stage is simply setting off activities/divisions and posting pages and stuff, all that general time-suck business that goes with running any tournament. Having never used Goy in the past means something of a learning curve, but it’s not particularly difficult. Most busy work isn’t, but you’ve got to do it and there’s not much satisfaction in it. Certainly this has to be better than prepping for Districts without the Goy. I have alerted the local troops that the tournament is a go in March at Scarsdale, and I have officially added Impromptu (although my personal inclination would be to also add a trivia contest, but I’d be too busy during the tournament to run it, so what’s the point). I just hope that people are entering their little Rippin’ points like they’re supposed to. I can’t make this happen if everyone else doesn’t make it happen. (Which reminds me, I need to enter points for last Saturday. Hold on a second.)

(Okay. I’m back.) We’re not going to get building privileges long enough for 4 rounds at Newark, so when I get a chance I’ll just send out an announcement that registration is open, business as usual, and have done with it. Part of our discussions about this for CFL included closing registration at the tournament at 9:00 and requiring phone-in updates that morning from all comers. We also agreed that someone other than the people tabbing would do the opening fandango, which makes great sense, as that easily costs us half an hour. Granted that I love to hear myself talk, and therefore love to hear myself open the proceedings, but I also love to get home at a decent hour. I will write up some humorous material for whoever is filling in for me. Maybe O’C. He could use some humorous material in his ceremonial speeches. Speaking of which, JV tapped him to work with me at Scarsdale since Kaz won’t be around. Putting me and O’C into a tab room together means fist fights over disk 11 of the Howard the Duck saga, the blasting of the soundtrack of “It’s a Small World,” and mystifying wandering-off sessions that astound as they baffle. I’m looking forward to it.

No comments: