Friday, January 04, 2008

Blowing the code; paging the Goys; praising St. Edwards

Well, I did upload the Geocities lecture to my podcast page, where it is yours for the taking. I also thought I’d updated the XML so that it would pop up in iTunes, but so far, well, not quite. I know that it can take a day or so, but after the hassles I had last time uploading the Yale material, I wonder if I’ve simply blown the code. I hate the idea of starting from scratch, because I have no idea what I’m doing and I just copy stuff that I can find that already works. A word to the wise: take many courses in computage while you’re still at school, otherwise you’ll end up like me, trying to figure it out all by yourself, not knowing the difference between CSS and RSS and a monkey’s left patootie, and feeling exceedingly lucky when anything works at all if it’s even slightly off your usual radar. And the scary thing is, I’m fairly good at this stuff. I am in fear and trembling of the rest of the people in the world, many of whom possess nuclear weapons, terrorists souls, and/or Wii machines.

The season begins anew shortly. Less shortly for those in California or down at Montgomery Bell. I don’t kick in until next week. There’s some interesting issues afoot meanwhile. I’m still waiting for confirmation of our District site, at which point I’ll do the Chairmania bit and round up the usual suspects and whatever. I’m trying now to get the Goys to allow me access to the software. Apparently they don’t like the cut of my jib. I just buzzed Cherian directly (the other guy, whoever he is, is of the not-answer-email persuasion, unless I just fell into his spam filter, which is why I always look at my spam, just in case I miss someone I don’t want to miss or, on occasion, need to invest in Nigerian real estate). Maybe that will work. I’m not quite sure if there’s a World’s Worst District Chairman award, but if there is, I do hope to be nominated. I deserve it. I’m the Ron Paul of the NFL.

I sent out a net to get as many people as possible to the open CFL next week, which features every conceivable level of every conceivable debate activity, including JV and Varsity Marital Spat. It’s good prep for Lexington the following week, with the LDers and Pffffters doing a new topic, while any rounds are good in the northeastern policy desert. I’ll wait till next year to propose the 4-round approach to spending the odd Saturday with the Catholics; I’m also waiting to hear back whether we can do it at Newark at our next MHL. Once O’C chimed in, we were on our way. If that old poop likes something, how bad can it be? Lexington, meanwhile, is collecting judges the way O’C collects Howard TD memorabilia. Feel free to contact them. The pool will be like Divine in cha-cha heels on Saturday, but Friday needs some rhythm in its step to cover the single flights. Then JV sent out his invitation, and once again I am reminded that (some of) the varsity judges novices, and once again I barely recall how to do it. Lots of asterisks, if I remember correctly. That’s my kind of tournament, with a lot of futzing around deep into the capabilities (or lack thereof) of the software. And I do admit that I have sheepishly migrated, apparently, to E-TRPC which has been working fine, or at least no worse than Classic TRPC. All the divisions at the last CFL didn’t faze it in the least. And then there was the 96 teams unassigned not so long with Classic. Any software that can manage to not pair the entire field can’t exactly be seen as on top of its game. But don’t get me wrong. I LOVE TRPC IN ALL ITS GUISES. This software is the greatest gift to debate ever, and I’m absolutely serious. Rich Edwards should be in every hall of fame there is. Not only has he developed software that does what we need it to do, but he gives it away. And he keeps it updated with suggestions from the field. Now if we can only get him to do a new version for the Mac…

No comments: