Thursday, April 05, 2007

Thursday is feminism-free day! Men of the world, unite! We're going to burp, scratch, and generally enjoy ourselves, for once.

So last week I answer the phone in my office, and there’s a woman on the line who wants to get a book published. It’s about her visions of Jesus, she says. When I tell her that we don’t really publish original books, she adds that she also had a vision of Frank Sinatra, and that she was in California at the time, and he was in New York. My guess is that she suspected that somehow not only would Sinatra be the difference between your run-of-the-mill visions and the Big Chance, but the added attraction of a continent’s distance would be as awe inspiring to me as if, well, I were having a vision of Old Blue Eyes myself. I explained to her how to find a publisher for her book (there’s resources in local libraries) and wished her good luck, hanging up as quickly as I could before saying something I might regret. I’ve been mulling over the Jesus-Sinatra connection ever since. I have arrived so far at no particular insight.

Yesterday was, apparently, Crawl Out of the Woodwork Day for the VCA. I heard from Pajamas, O’C, and CPalmer, and I just opened my mailbox a minute ago and there’s now a comment from CLG. Only a couple of these are related to the feminism theme, and I’ll get to them probably tomorrow. I hadn’t really planned on going off on this particular toot, but I’ve found it interesting to work out various thoughts. As my thinking has congealed, shall we say, I realize that I’m actually starting to formulate a thesis of some sort, but I’m certainly coming at it ass backwards. I probably should read the latest literature, but my tolerance for pomo/CT, the home of said literature, is pretty slim. Chris sent me this link yesterday, and it’s me in a nutshell. http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~pvr/decon.html I’m especially fond of the chalice in the palace holds the brew that is true (or is it the vessel with the pestle)? Anyhow, I should probably sit down with O’C, feminist scholar that he is, and have him educate me a bit. I could use it. He’s been giving us the gift of his absence to take a little time off from debate, he says, and I understand the feeling, having occasionally gone off-line myself, completely ignoring the old email until getting back into the mood again. It’s nothing personal, just the grabbing of a moment or two of peace and quiet. A mini-vacation (as compared to a Mickey vacation, which is enough said on that subject for the moment, except to announce that yesterday I reserved the very very last dinner, at Emeril’s).

And speaking of off-line, yesterday marked the arrival of hardware and software for me to begin turning all my old cassettes into mp3s. I am reminded of the golden age lo these many years ago, when I turned all my LPs into cassettes; to a great extent, this is simply an extension of that, turning my cassettized LPs into mp3s without having to find where I put my turntable. I know there’s one in the house somewhere, but I dare you to find it. If the chez already weren’t upset enough, Juan, Kwan and the Stoners: The Next Generation, have been tearing up the place this week putting in a new septic system. Oh joy, oh rapture. There are few things you can purchase in life that are that expensive while being that unsatisfying in the consumerism sense. I’m especially taken by the look of pride on JKS:TNG’s face as they extend an arm over their handiwork and tell me to look on their wonders and marvel. Personally, I have a vision of a house with not JKS: TNG or TOS, but just me and Liz and the cats enjoying home ownership at its finest. Instead, if I can get my car into the driveway I see backhoes and gravel pits and mud flats and half-patios…

Then again, I could be seeing visions of Jesus and Sinatra. I’m hard-pressed to decide which would be preferable.

No comments: