Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The countdown continues

First of all, today’s Bracketology is especially for O’C, although Kt might be interested. My top two when I did it were an impossible-to-break tie.

Last night was the States chez, and that’s that. It was a pleasant session, explaining to Humpty Dumpty that words do not mean what he wants them to mean (and would someone please explain to me why, as I type this in Word, the word Dumpty is underlined in red and the word Humpty is home free?), wondering where Frank Lloyd Wright fits into the picture of the UN (except insofar as the Guggenheim is the Boris to the UN Building’s Natasha), and hearing Robbie update us on the crank (I had just told Smilin’ J that NG was thinking of law school, but apparently he’s thinking of business school). LPW, for reasons known only to him, had decided to run a negative argument that Termite had invented during a tooth extraction, and we managed to talk him down from that one. I waxed poetic at great length about the fish shack, although to be honest, it’s been so long since I was in Albany that, for all I know, they’ve turned it into a mortuary. And we even moved a few gross of the WWMD tee shirts up to the front of the store, for easy access during the holiday buying season.

This morning I learned that Paul Frees was not only the Ghost Host and Ludwig von Drake, but also Boris Badenov (which is probably why Boris is on my mind as I write this). I think I knew this already, but it falls into the area of facts you know but don’t know, that great mass of data you collect and immediately lose to make room for other things, like what Foucault says about free-ranging insanity during the Renaissance. Although why I need to know the latter versus knowing that Frees also voiced both John Lennon and George Harrison in the Beatles Saturday morning cartoon series in the ‘60s is beyond me. Anyhow, this information comes from the magic of podcasting, as I poke around for a WDW show to tide me over till vacation. I do miss CoasterRadio.com’s show, which was right up my alley, exactly the level of theme park I liked to hear. Oh, well, nothing is forever.

16 days, 4 hours. If you’re reading this in aid of burgling the chez while I’m gone, don’t bother. Pip the Diabetic Wondercat and Tik pronounced teek will both be in attendance, with occasional visits from the local Catwoman for care and feeding and shooting and tidying. This was a job formerly performed by a certain sister who has gone off to college in the middle of nowhere. But I can see why she abandoned us. Tik is getting more and more vicious with the passage of time. Last night he left Alli in total tatters. What burglar in his or her right mind would run the risk?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am honored.

Can I post my results here?

Anonymous said...

Side note - I trust you saw the recent New Yorker piece on bracketology?