Monday, April 02, 2007

Moratorium; politics; Princess O'C; Socrates; cat baggage

The Sailors are off this week. No doubt they’re all either at Disney World or Vegas, or maybe they’re in Washington testifying in front of one subcommittee or another. Whatever.

The Legionnaires seem to have crawled back under their rocks. Eric B just sent out a last call to vote, but I don’t think I’m going to. The only person I would support is me, except I know me too well to trust me. I’d just annoy everyone and be a pain in the ass, and I can do that without portfolio. I probably shouldn’t have let them put my name up in the first place. I’ve gone from poster boy to shill in one season. What a transformation.

I haven’t heard from O’C lately. I think he’s in fear and trembling over Fists’ no-show status, but that wasn’t O’C’s fault. Then again, maybe he’s plotting his own trip to WDW in May. I have this vision of seeing him on line completing his world-famous collection of princess autographs, boldly pushing six-year-old girls out of his way while waving at me as I run over to rescue my family from inadvertently venturing into It’s A Small World. Then again, I also have visions of religious figures in every bowl of fettucine alfredo that I eat, so you can’t count on me there either.

My goal this week is to get organized. Among other things I need to finalize my own accounting of the Red Light tournament, I need to get back on track with Nostrum, and I need to start doing my summer reading so that I continue to know one thing more than the Sailors do. Teaching, as all students suspect, really is just reading a chapter ahead in the textbook, or acting like you know all the answers when you haven’t the foggiest. This goes back to Socrates who, you will recall, never answered any questions, but just asked questions himself. This was because he didn’t know anything. So if you asked him, Hey, Soc, what’s the secret of the universe, he would answer your question with a question. This was considered clever by the ancient Greeks. Today this is simply considered annoying.

If anything interesting happens, you’ll be the first to know, but mostly I’m expecting that this will be a week of peace and quiet, with maybe a lengthy random bloviation about halfway through when the spirit suddenly moves me. We need some low-pressure weeks like that. Following which, the final few meetings of the Sailors, and then off to Disney World myself (widget count is -38 days). Pip and Tik pronounced teek are already packed; I don’t have the heart to tell them they’re not coming…

No comments: