Monday, December 18, 2006

Reentry

It's going to take a little while to get back to speed. Liz was eating chicken when I left the hospital today, which I take as an excellent sign. And she's coming home tomorrow. I've asked Tik (pronounced tik) to pick up a few of the Christmas decorations he's been grabbing off the tree while no one is looking, but so far he acts as if it's my job to clean up after him rather than him cleaning up after himself. The noive! Pip the Wondercat, on the other hand, looks forward to another lap to purr in when we are all together again. Never underestimate the therapeutic value of cuddling cats. Come to think of it, someone was on the hospital floor today with a therapy dog, a hound of some sort that couldn't get any purchase on the polished floor, which made him look like Bambi on the ice. Very entertaining. Never underestimate the therapeutic value of any entertainment, especially stupid pet tricks.

So, getting back to the old stand... I did begin recording the epistles of St. Jules to the forensicians last week. I had thought they began with number 33, but in fact it was number 32, so I put out a special edition with just some of the old email, including kudos from the legendary Soddy, one of the original fans of the lads’ work. I may or may not get any more episodes out before Christmas, what with everything else going on, but I should put a few in the can immediately following 12/25. I did create a new general introduction telling any yabbo who stumbles across this stuff that they should start at the beginning if they wanted to make any sense out of it. Speaking of which, now that I have a gargantuan ancillary hard drive semi-permanently attached to Little E’s firewire slot, I’ve been thinking of acquiring the latest iLife suite, which allows the ability to create podcasts in GarageBand (although, come to think of it, if I wait a couple of months I can get the next latest iLife suite, but then again, that might be Leopard-only and I am loath to upgrade operating systems, being from the school that if you want to cause damage to your computing life, start with an OS upgrade). Little E’s only inherent problem is his small hard disk. Put an OS and a couple of apps, plus Virtual PC, and 30 gigs disappears in a puff of computing smoke. Make this a rule: when you buy any sort of storage, either separate or a part of something, go for the max. You’ll never regret it.

One of the joys of insomnia is reading at three in the morning, and I've been doing some pomo work that is encouraging me to do a new View from Tab, yet another entry hook into the whole shebang. Again, maybe next week. Tomorrow and the day after the Sailors are in for a couple of chezzes on corporate ethics. Oh, the humanity.

No comments: