Thursday, December 28, 2006

A little of this, a little of that...

I swore to myself that I’d be at the computer this morning by 9:00. Missed it only by about an hour. Not bad for a holiday.

In the most important piece of news, Liz has gotten a clean bill of health, and we go into 2007 a lot happier than we exited 2006. Whew.

So now we can get back to business. First up, sorting through all the invoices from the NFL and getting that check out before there’s a late fee. For some reason Safari is giving me Yahoo mail issues, but Firefox seems to be kechy peen, so the fault lies not in our account but in our software. Kate insists that I’m some sort of troglodyte for my use of Safari, but as I pointed out, the fact that at the office Firefox prints words before I type them sort of mitigates against my reliance on it. I guess that feature would be very useful if I were daunted by the blank page, but I seriously doubt if that’s going to happen any time soon.

Then there’s the discussion of our Red Light District status with the district schools. I’ve been putting off sending out a note to the schools mostly because there isn’t much to say other than file all your points, and honestly, most of them either do or don’t. I’ve been feverishly doing so lately. For instance,every time NoShow judges, there’s 4 more points in the bag. Come to think of it, I'm thinking of changing his nickname to HeWhoShowsUpEveryWeek. Woot, woot!

[Time passes.]

So, with all of business conducted, after 2 hours the mailbox is clear! The next item on the agenda, aside from getting up and running upstairs every time the phone rings, is warming up the leftover lasagna for lunch. Tuesday we had the Rubin Era alums over for dinner, and a swell time was had by all, I think. They are a rather remarkable bunch. Josh is at Harvard Law, and Katie’s at Georgetown Law; she’s thinking litigator, which means that I’ll finally have someone to defend me when the gendarmes catch up. Alexandra is drumming up business for White Plains hospital; she does PR, which I gather means going out and making people sick. I could do that. Wedro is trading stocks, and has managed to lose hardly any money at all despite the incredible bull market. Jared just got back from Argentina, having given up the literary agent trade, and he’s living in Brooklyn on the chichi side of Prospect Park (my Kate is on the Real People side). CLG is still thinking of more school, and the general consensus was that she should go to California to see how the other half lives. As I say, what a group. Although it is strange to offer them wine and beer. I used to have to worry that they might be drinking wine and beer behind my back (although I never got the feeling that they were too dicey behavior-wise back in the day, although occasionally CLG has begun to explain what was really going on and I’ve had to ask her to stop because I just don’t want to know) and now I merely have to make sure they can drive home legally. How times change.

This afternoon, with any luck, I’ll begin catching up on Nostrums. Plus, I’ve got preliminary notes on an intro to Pomo that I have to work on. And, oh yeah, I have to go out and buy a chicken for dinner.

Life is good.

No comments: