Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The tournament is in the mail

I have just packed the New York State District qualifier for 2006 into a nesting-doll collection of envelopes and posted it out to Ripon. Go in peace...

I had thought that districts was the end of things, pretty much, but it looks less and less like the period at the end of this year's sentence. There's States, there's TOCs, there's the NFA RR, and then there's prepping for NuffleNats (and please, oh resolution makers, give us a Pffft with two sides!). So much for my own going in peace.

There's a final document from LDEP in my mailbox. I've read it over quickly. I'll read it again, slowly, and report shortly. Whatever it is, and it looked okay at first glance, this is it. Should be interesting.

Tonight's meeting at the school will be straightforward enough, although I'm still vacillating on its content. Scots poetry is a given, but there's a bunch of other issues worth discussing. I may just thumb through the cur and hit whatever high spots hitherto uncovered happen to catch my eye. After all, aside from S&S, this may be the last school meeting. Might as well make it a useful one.

Speaking of Pffft, districts gave the novice Tars their first real shot at it. I didn't get the sense that they had it knocked going forward, but at least now they have a sense of what it's about. I guess that, initially, most people don't think it will be hard, and that there isn't much work involved, but realistically one must do good research (albeit in a narrow range) and do good presentations, and that's hardly easy. I would expect that next year we'd at least have folks Pfffting at Wee Sma Lex and, given the size of the team, Bug Mutha Lex too. And maybe elsewhere. Why not? It's a good activity, and it's not going away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After all, aside from S&S, this may be the last school meeting. Might as well make it a useful one.

so much for that