Monday, March 13, 2006

Cats

We have put down a payment for a new Siamese. The cat is from Long Island, as is O'C, but we're not going to let that stop us. He or she will be arriving at the chez in April. We haven't exactly picked the actual kitten. There were umpty-ump of them, relatively indistinguishable, but we sort of indicated a desire for a seal point female. Or a male. Or a chocolate point. Or a blue. We were, obviously, quite clear about our preferences. Anyhow, by next season it should be well trained to attack anything that even thinks about running a kritik.

Fordham put on a nice show for us Saturday. Easy to get to, good grub, plenty of rooms, a working elevator. I could learn to like that. The competition was, at least as far as I was concerned, a way for the novices to get a feel for the new topic, which they will be debating at States before too long. When all was said and done Ewok sent me this long lament about culpability, so I gave in and wrote something out, and I haven't heard a subsequent peep out of anyone. I have either settled the issue once and for all or been so off the mark that they're considering jumping ship and doing Dec from now on. Hell, I'm considering jumping ship and doing Dec from now on, for that matter: why should they have all the fun?

We discussed the Modest Novice with Regis. EDM seemed willing enough, but preferred a different topic, viz., civil disobedience. I'm fine with that, so he's going to discuss it with the heads of the other Manhattan families, and maybe we can seal this up Saturday at Grands.

High point of the weekend, other than meeting the new cat, was listening to my Rockabilly Vol 2 album on the trip down Saturday. I really expected Termite to break out any minute into a counter-rendition of My Gal is Red Hot, Your Gal Ain't Doodly-Squat, but mostly he sat and stared out the window. Come to think of it, the entire trip was the most I've heard him not talk since I met him, in both directions. The silence was profound, and even more blessed by its rarity. I'm going to carry Rockabilly Vol 2 with me everywhere I go from now on! Emily did profess some wonder that on another trip I sang along with Rocky Horror Show. What did she expect me to do? Play it and *not* sing along? I mean, just because her grandmother was scandalized by it doesn't mean that I am. But maybe I should be. Okay. New rule. No doing the Time Warp at meetings anymore.

Whatever happened to Fay Wray?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ouch menick, first the crappy prize remark, now this, i'm permanently scarred- Paul

Anonymous said...

never mind, i mean "-Termite," just forget that last part and put that in