Wednesday, March 08, 2006

It's a jungle out there

We have begun the hunt. We are stalking a new cat.

This is not as easy as it seems, at least not if you want a traditional Siamese a la Pip. I don't really like weasel-looking cats, if you know what I mean (and I could name a few weasel-looking debaters to give you an idea of what I'm talking about, but it's probably not a good idea to test the limits of net slander against minors so late in the season). Fortunately there's the internet, and one can track down a cattery or two on Long Island, which as far as I'm concerned is like tracking down a cattery or two on Mars. Long Island? I mean, people from Westchester simply never go there. They've stopped providing visas, if I'm not mistaken (O'C made the last certified border crossing). But we are hoping nonetheless to venture forth Sunday morning to look at a litter. Could there be a Wondercat Junior in the offing? Watch this space for more details.

Last night's chez should have finally shaken the novice mental cobwebs. After about an hour of going point by point over what the aff isn't, which pretty much eliminated everything everyone had already come up with, we suggested what it maybe is. Given that the aff is, intuitively, the easer position, I am once again convinced that the easier position is always the harder one.

I have made the States motel reservations. Now all I need is the name from Dave of their speech judge (if any), then we can sort out the driving issues. For that matter, I have to sort out driving for Saturday. And figure out why there is a form at the Hendrick Hudson Academy for Piccolo Prodigies that no one seems to believe exists (for parents driving other people's kids). And figure out Districts driving. Life was easier when buses were cheaper, as Aeschylus used to say.

Tonight I definitely work on Districts, sorting out the Jolly Tar entry, and figuring policy. I got a call Monday from the trophy people checking on some details; the good news was that, since they thought I needed the trophies in the middle of April, their call was early enough to get things finished on schedule. Some idiot gave them the wrong date, apparently. The fact that I am that idiot is beside the point; they should have known better. Anyhow, all's well that e's w, so that's set.

And here's a tip on how to make my day. They cancelled my dentist appointment today. Huzzah!

No comments: