Monday, April 11, 2005

The other side of the coin

The dovetailing of debate and golf is almost perfect. Debate ends in March, for the most part, and golf starts in April, for the most part. Of course, these yabbos managed to qualify for CFL and TOCs, which take a big bite out of the old Menick links life, plus I'll be vacating in May, which means that I'm going to lose a lot of course time. That's going to be rough.

It was beautiful out there Saturday. We were in our shirtsleeves, the sun on our backs, the mud on our shoes. I have a regular foursome that spends the half hour before tee time arguing about who's giving whom how many strokes, followed by abstract conversations that have earned us the honarary title of golf philosophers (from a one-time drifter who played with us and who thought, I guess, that a reference to the mounds of Venus on the ninth hole at Mohansic was the ultimate platonic allusion). At the end of the game the money changes hands: twenty-five cents a hole! We're not just whistling Dixie here, fella. There's no pikers in my foursome.

On Sunday, much energy went into Caveman Part 4, which I still need to illustrate. I'll post it shortly, then on to the final part, on pomo. I also started reading this very attractive architecture survey (to find out if I've gotten anything correct) while at the same time reading "Variations on a Theme Park : The New American City and the End of Public Space," which included that essay on gentrification. It's curious that Disney, as a corporation, has a mixed reputation as the bane of architecture (e.g. the Magic Kingdom) and the soul of architecture (e.g. the Gehry concert hall). But that's not really what the book is about specifically. Let's just say, if you can't bandy about simulacra references from Baudrillard with aplomb, you'll be up a creek with it. Pomo forever, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael Sorkin's essay is amazing. (I assume you're referring to "See You in Disneyland"?)