Friday, April 22, 2005

Looney tune, back in action

.
So I guess the Nostrumite has indeed dedicated himself to writing a new series. The Tennessee Williams High School link over there on the right is loaded, cocked and aimed straight at the foot. He just emailed me that he had put up a new installment. I have no comment on the quality of the present vintage versus the old. You'd think that, since he's getting married in a couple of weeks, he would be too busy with Odelie for that sort of nonsense, but I've never known the Mite to be too busy for nonsense. There's just too much of it in his blood to ignore.

Meanwhile, I wait with bait on my breath for Noah to get his movie link working. I love a good movie, and I'm even marginally fond of bad movies. I was once a member of MOMA, when I first lived in the city after college. I would pop over at lunch time and pick up a movie ticket for the evening showing of literally anything. Rare Japanese films. Silent musicals. Blaxploitation films. You name it, they screened it and I watched it. Movies were a passion back in the 70s. Now they're just an entertainment. Speaking of which, anyone who hasn't seen Duck Soup is now immediately suspended from the team. Hail, Freedonia!

The prospects for the weekend include seeing Prairie Home Companion tomorrow down at Town Hall. If you're listening to the show, that's me chuckling in the 14th row.

And then, next weekend, it's TOC Time! JWP just sent out a preliminary list for judge ratings and strikes. I realize I have judged exactly one flight on this topic. Plus I do tend to think, as I've said, that the implied opposite of progressive is regressive, that lay judges should be trained and not shunned as long as they understand four or five useful words in English, and that there's nothing wrong with debate that eliminating the National Circuit wouldn't cure. Even worse, I believe that, on this topic, the aff should argue in favor of separating church and state and that the neg should argue in favor of not separating church and state. Let me see. How many people will strike me this year? Okay, that leaves 22 out of 70. How many will rate me a C? That leaves 6. How many will rate me a B? That leaves 2 A's. Thank you, Scott and Matt (and I'm not so sure about Matt).

My biggest question is whether Gordon will strike me or C me. The smart money's on the strike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you think that you are anything other than an A for Berkeley Carroll. Outrageous!