Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Another country heard from

Well lordy, lordy, lordy. And what to my wondering eyes should appear, but an email from Chisinau, some Julian cheer! I print it in its entirety.

----

Yo, Menick. How are things in the wicked West?

I managed to get into the city today for about the first time in three months, which means access to a cybercafe. I've been working in a small village outside of Comrat, which I know sounds either like a Soviet lackey or another word for techweenie, but I call it home, except that I live about 20 miles away. Most of my time is spent either working on a large rural farm or teaching English, unfortunately more of the former than the latter. I now know much more about cauliflower than when I started, and I can till soil with the best of them. And also drink the local wine, which is unbelievably fine, which is a reason to thank the Creator, considering how often they serve mamaliga, a local dish that, well, makes grits look good. When I teach English people are very responsive, but I get the sense that they're mostly just rushing off to Transnistria to foment all kinds of Transnistrian mischief. It's strange being in a torn, divided country. You wouldn't know about that, would you?

I see that the Mite is up and running with a new soap opera, the dog. I can't believe he's doing it without me. I've read the first few episodes, which frankly strike me as second-rate compared to when I was in charge of the nouns and adverbs while he handled the verbs and adjectives. It was a good team, with checks and balances. Of course, I think we got robbed whenever we subcontracted out the prepositions and articles, but the end result was pretty satisfactory. This new stuff... Bleeech! Tennessee Williams High School. Where does he come up with this stuff?

I will be around for the wedding. The Mite's love life has always been something of a steady entertainment for those of us on the outside, and I can't imagine missing the first of his marriage ceremonies to take place in Las Vegas. To be honest with you, I'm surprised Odelie is putting up with it. It's not exactly Episcopalianally ministerial, if you get my drift. But I'm glad to see the Mite back with old High Falutin. I always thought they were a good pair, and when she graduated and went back home, he was sort of heartbroken. He hasn't exactly told me how they got back together. I guess I'll find out while we're playing the slots next month.

After our bout of Fear and Loathing, I'll be heading back for another 3 months in Moldova, and then my stint here is done. I'm not quite sure what I'll do after that, but I will be heading first to Cambridge and the old haunts to see what the usual suspects are up to, then I'll roll down to New York to visit with you and whatever other derelicts you can turn up. Say hello to everyone, and I'll see you in a couple of weeks.

JOS

No comments: