Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A tad of venom is released, but things settle down once we engage the warp drive

I just can’t agree with commenter Rob, that if we were to ask the NFL to do something like this, that they would do it, and do it well. I may be completely wrong, however, so if someone in some position in the NFL is reading this, please respond.

And that’s why I think I’m right. Either 1) no one in any position in the NFL is reading this, or 2) they’re reading it and not acting on it. This is not the first time I’ve discussed NFL business. Most recently, I went into an incredible song and dance about adhering to NFL rules on LD, so it’s not exactly as if I’m inimical to them (although, anecdotally, my understanding is that they think I make the antichrist look like Mary Poppins). And let’s face it, after VBD, this is probably the most popular high school forensics blog in the country, so it’s hardly unknown. So either Rippin’ really doesn’t know (which is inexcusable) or else Rippin’ really doesn’t care (which is more inexcusable) or else Rippin’ really does think I make the antichrist look like Mary Poppins (which, if you actually read the Travers books, is not such an odd suggestion, but seriously could only be based on my unwillingness to act as the country’s world’s worst district chair because I feel that their rules indirectly punish schools from New York, but as members of the VCA know, I tried hard to do a good job for many, many years, for which the only thank you I ever received from NFL was a lack of acknowledgment of my resignation—yeah, a little bit of sour grapes, I admit it).

Bietz, of course, has taken the bait and agreed to try hosting something like this with NDCA, and asked if I would participate. To which the answer is, of course I will, although I would not give up my venue here for all the coffee in Seattle. I look forward to working with him on it, and ironing out ways of making it effective along the lines already discussed. (Here's his blog post.) I think the first thing we need to do is figure out who, exactly, is already blogging, even just a little bit.

Meanwhile, the next concentration has to be the free MHL Workshop in September. I’d like to get a broad sense of the curriculum in hand for CatNats to spread it around to the assembled multitudes there for input. I actually did create a signup at tabroom.com, but just in the vaguest sense. I’m really looking forward to this, and expect to bus down literally all the Sailor plebes when the time comes. It’s so early in the season that no one has quit yet, and it will capture a little of the (black) magic that is the debate universe.

And last night I saw Star Trek. If you go on a Tuesday night in the boonies, you share the theater with about half a dozen people who, like me, remember watching the original on black-and-white televisions and thinking, even then, that this Shatner guy must have been related to the producer. Anyhow, the movie was a hoot, and I enjoyed it from start to finish (although I have as much trouble imagining Harry as a starship navigator as I did imagining Kumar as a pathologist). I noticed that Star Trek is one of the trending topics on Twitter. My guess is that everyone who tweets has already seen the movie by now; it’s sort of like the far-from-secret handshake. Those who haven’t seen the movie (or who don’t plan to before the week is out), are simple Twitter poseurs. I wonder what Oprah thinks about the new transporter effect?

No comments: