Thursday, May 28, 2009

Mass Matt? ModNov. Music. Musings. Movies. Mmmm.

Monti Matt seems to think that this whole blog exists for his personal amusement. Jeesh. Since I’ve already hired him for the next 40 Little Lex tournaments, I think this is a bit greedy on his part: He’ll be getting Sailor money; he needs Sailor yuks as well? Of course, I’m probably going to have to start calling him Boston Matty instead of Monti Matt. One must keep up with one’s locations.

We got Victory Briefs material via Bietz on the ModNov topic, which was, of course, previously a NatNats topic. Very generous, and I’ve posted it on the ModNov site. We’re starting to accrue some good material there. No one will complain that we didn’t provide background. There’s also a long, marginally anonymous (if you can’t parse the screenname) piece on legal positivism, which has about a hundred areas of analysis you could extract for cases; it was originally a comment, but it was too good not to move up to more prominence. I have a very good feeling about ModNov overall. We’ve got traction in the community, and people are paying attention. I think it’s going to work well.

I now have all of my iTunes library in one place. When I plug in an iPod, it can’t find a couple of loose podcasts, but overall, it’s all there. What a pain, but worth it in the end. I’m slowly but steadily filling up the MegaPod. Soon I’m going to have to limit what’s on it, as I limit what’s on the Touch. I probably don’t need, say, Godspell. Or anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber. (Once a year, sure, Cats manages to find its way to the CD player, but anyone who listens to Cats more than once a year has serious issues that need to be resolved outside the scope of this blog.) Which means that, now more than ever, I’m ready for whatever upgrade/new gizmo I end up buying. I noticed that Apple has upgraded the white MacBooks…

I did have fun tweeting a little bit of CatNats, and reading other people’s tweets (when I could get wireless access). Events like CatNats are made for Twitter, and/or vice versa. In addition, I used a specific Sailors account to keep us all connected, and that worked fine, at least for me and my crack Pfffters (my Pffft crackers?). We need to do more of this. For the most part I had nothing bad to say in my tweets (sorry, but PF ran like a charm with a very professional team in charge), which is unfortunate, because who wants to read that that rounds are all prompt, and it isn’t right to tweet personal comments about the debaters during the rounds (e.g., “I’m judging a total asshat from Tennessee Williams High School” or whatever). In fact, I actually did have to fight the urge to tweet during rounds. 140 characters fit perfectly into 2 minutes of PF prep time. By the way, I learned that there’s a lot of hoo-ha in the PF world when it comes to actually saying anying. Talk about starting friction! “Opponents ready? Judges ready? Partner ready? Tab room ready? Custodial staff ready? Sarah Palin ready?” A good Pfffter could squeeze a whole ‘nother minute of prep time into all these readys! I did miss the flip, though. And on top of that, the Roman Catholic Church has decided that Con asks the first question in the first CX, and Pro asks the first question in the next two CXes. What’s that all about? How liturgical are we going to get here? Apparently this reversed a rule where, well, somebody else asked the first question, which caused a dab or two of confusion during the day. Granted some people’s pointed questions are more commanding than other people’s, but trying to curtail the pointed questioners with prescribed order seems sort of weird. No big deal, really, but an unnecessary meddling. Speaking of which, I’ve got to update my PF how-to Real Soon Now. Not tonight. Tomorrow? Let’s see if my first summer hours Friday is rained on.

To the movies tonight, coincidentally also “Summer Hours,” and to Godot on Saturday. Ah. Summer. Saturdays in the city. No debate. This is the life.

1 comment:

Matthew Johnson said...

Mass Matt. I like it.